Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:30
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 10, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

recently I received from a customer a .DOC text to translate from german to portuguese, with some phrases in english idiom inside.

This customer has a strange habit to collect phrases in german, translate it on the next line to english and after that, write the same phrase on another idiom, e.g. portuguese.

Using TRADOS, it becomes a hard task to translate german source text and to ignore english source phrases. Not to mention TRADOS statistics, which points out translated words x non-translated words, but not which idiom is set.

To solve this english-german mixture of source idioms, I ran Word's option to change text, which in turn allows to put a background color on every word that is marked as part of English idiom.

Like this: find source text - english idiom; change text - english idiom + yellow background.

Word did a nice job for this - after this change I deleted all yellow-marked text after verifying if there are really english words marked so.

But there still remained some english phrases that are not marked as english idiom, they went marked sometimes as german idiom or French, and because of that, they did not received a yellow background.

For 100 segments to read this is not a big problem, but for 100 pages it could be a long time to analyze idioms on such text.

Talked about this, I would ask if there is an add-on, a standalone program or alike that detects idioms on, for example, inside a .Doc file an correct the corresponding idiom settings for that word.

Such a reference should be very appreciated!

TVMIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:30
Member (2008)
English to French
I'm confused... Jun 10, 2011

Perhaps you could re-word your post?

It seems to me you're using the word "idiom" wrong ("an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements") - if you're using it correctly do you mean that the client is translating expressions word for word? Like writing "domestic animals are precipitating" for "it's raining cats and dogs"?

urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:30
German to English
+ ...
idiom =/= language Jun 10, 2011

The thread title and original post become much clearer if you replace all instances of the word idiom with the word language.

I suspect the OP is looking for a way to make Word automatically identify which language any given sentence is written in and to set the language accordingly for that stretch of text in the document.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:30
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
idiom, idioma Jun 10, 2011

The Spanish for language is idioma. The Spanish for idiom is modismo. Portuguese is probably similar.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:30
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic has a neat feature that solves this Jun 10, 2011

There is a setting in Wordfast Classic that allows you to mark sections of text with a 25% grey background, and they will then be ignored as the program works through the text segment by segment.

It is necessary to spend time marking them one by one before starting to translate, but it is fairly quick, for instance if it involves whole columns in a table.

When the translation is complete, it is easy enough to highlight the entire document and select 'no marking' to remove it all at once.

What may take time is converting and setting up TMs and glossaries, although Wordfast Classic is largely compatible with Trados up to Trados 2007.

Does this mean that Trados has adopted the same idea?

But neither CAT will do it automatically, I am fairly certain.

[Edited at 2011-06-10 08:12 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't worry Jun 10, 2011

Just translate each segment from German to Portuguese and when you come to an English segment just press alt+ins (copy source).
The trados analysis of course counts all segments without regard to language, that is not your concern. Put it all on the bill.

Regards
Heinrich

Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... that is it ! Jun 10, 2011

urbom wrote:

I suspect the OP is looking for a way to make Word automatically identify which language any given sentence is written in and to set the language accordingly for that stretch of text in the document.

Yes, that is it - I am searching for a feature (addon, addin, standalone software, etc.) that does this task for me.

Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
idioma - modismo Jun 10, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

The Spanish for language is idioma. The Spanish for idiom is modismo. Portuguese is probably similar.

In portuguese:

Idioma - the language

modismo - nothing to do with idioms / idioma.

Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... not always possible ... Jun 10, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Just translate each segment from German to Portuguese and when you come to an English segment just press alt+ins (copy source).
The trados analysis of course counts all segments without regard to language, that is not your concern. Put it all on the bill.

Regards
Heinrich

Heinrich Pesch,

it was previously agreed not to get paid for copying english phrases. When TRADOS writes the target file, it does this (copying source to target) automatically - also non translated segments.

Of course, I need to distinguish inside TRADOS what is translated and what is not. I do this: after all words (e.g. from german to portuguese) are translated, I get a statistic of translated x non translated words, and use this to fill the bill.

THNX.

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 07:30
Japanese to English
Could you use a macro in Word? Jul 27, 2011

Wolf,

If you are using either Word 2000 or Word 2003, then I can probably create a macro for you that checks the language setting of each word/character in the document and then marks it however you like.

Since the language setting can be viewed via a menu item in Word, I am fairly certain there is a way to access that setting using a VBA macro (i.e. in "Tools > Macros")...I have built numerous macros for myself in Word, so I am confident that I can create one that will work for you.

For example, I created, and currently use, a macro that identifies all of the Kanji characters in a document so that I know the exact count and can verify that I have translated all Japanese strings once I have finished translating a long document.

If you let me know what version of MS Office you are using, I can check out the possibilities for you!

MGrant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

... an Idiom detector needed !

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search