Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2011

Can anyone help me find the autocorrect feature in Word 2010? I would like to disable the 'automatic bulleted lists' because any symbol I type, such as a dash or a star plus a space, immediately turns into a bullet. I have found a way around it but that is very tedious. I have searched the 'help' feature without success.

Thanks, Tina

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:02
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Tina Jun 22, 2011

You may find it here:

File - Options - Spellchecking - Autocorrect options in the upper part of the window

HTH,
Natalia

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 23, 2011

That is one place where I didn't look - thanks a million!

Lyussie (X)
Lyussie (X)
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
helpful tip Jun 23, 2011

also whatever you type and it automatically turns into something you did not mean or you do not like, you can always use the 'ctrl + z' shortcut to bring you one step back

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another option Jun 23, 2011

Thank you Lyussie. A good option to remember but also a bit tedious if you have a document full of them.

where is autocorrect in Word 2010? Jan 18, 2012

Go to 'File', 'Options', then 'Proofing' for spelling and grammar.

For punctuation, select 'AutoCorrect Options'. You may need to select 'Math AutoCorrect' for the following:

If you post to blogs or RSS feeds, the curly-quotes will cause problems, except in cases where the recipient servers have been programmed to interpret them properly. Expect nonsense symbols like the following, or sometimes just little question marks.

”

... See more
Go to 'File', 'Options', then 'Proofing' for spelling and grammar.

For punctuation, select 'AutoCorrect Options'. You may need to select 'Math AutoCorrect' for the following:

If you post to blogs or RSS feeds, the curly-quotes will cause problems, except in cases where the recipient servers have been programmed to interpret them properly. Expect nonsense symbols like the following, or sometimes just little question marks.

”

• Why Microsoft still puts out Word with the curly quotes set by default after ten years of online problems, or at a minimum,

• Why all of the servers haven’t been upgraded to interpret them properly are two colossal conundrums. Other embedded symbols [fraction, bullets] may cause problems as well.

And finally, when copying and pasting text from a word processor via the clipboard, hard returns are left in place in all Windows apps. Thus you may get this:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to
dissolve the political bands which have connected
them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate
and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and
of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires
that they should declare the causes which impel
them to the separation."

Look for, and download ClipCase 2.3.3 to remove those 'hard returns' that Windows insists on keeping. The clipboard could well keep double returns, as they amount to paragraph designations. But single returns? The receiving software will put them in where needed.

Are you listening Microsoft?
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 18, 2012

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is autocorrect in Word 2010?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »