Where to find list of automatic corrections in Word 2007?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Czech to German
+ ...
Jul 15, 2011

Hello all,

most of the work I'm doing for one client is done at his premises where I'm using one of his computers with my own profile. So far no problem but these days the profile had disappeared and, what was much worse, all of my precious abbreviations (I don't know what it is called in English as both OS and Office are in Czech, maybe it's something like automatic correction?) in Word had gone, too...

When I asked the person who is normally sitting at this computer
... See more
Hello all,

most of the work I'm doing for one client is done at his premises where I'm using one of his computers with my own profile. So far no problem but these days the profile had disappeared and, what was much worse, all of my precious abbreviations (I don't know what it is called in English as both OS and Office are in Czech, maybe it's something like automatic correction?) in Word had gone, too...

When I asked the person who is normally sitting at this computer she told me that there had been no changes, no updates, no re-installation, nothing.

As I'm not very fond of the perspective of this happening again I'm looking for some possibility to store those "corrections" (for instance, I'm typing Ntg and Word automatically changes it to Nettogewinn) somewhere, maybe in a mail sent to myself. As I have almost the same collection on my PC at home perhaps it would also be possible to store it on a USB stick?

So my question is where to find these abbreviations (after all they must be somewhere!) and how to put them back into Word. Many thanks in advance for every hint!

Charlotte
Collapse

Where to find list of automatic Jul 16, 2011

I found this article on the Microsoft support site:

How to move AutoCorrect entries in Word 2007 from one computer to another computer[^]

It appears that Word 2007 stores unformatted AutoCorrect entries in a file (.acl) in your user profile, while formatted entries are stored in Normal.dotm.

... See more
I found this article on the Microsoft support site:

How to move AutoCorrect entries in Word 2007 from one computer to another computer[^]

It appears that Word 2007 stores unformatted AutoCorrect entries in a file (.acl) in your user profile, while formatted entries are stored in Normal.dotm.

If you are using AutoText, entries are stored as a separate template in a folder named Document Building Blocks folder in your user profile (see here[^])

I haven't attempted any of this before and the procedure seems more complicated than it needs to be, so be careful when restoring your entries (for instance, Word macros are also stored in Normal.dotm so you could end up overwriting them, etc).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find list of automatic corrections in Word 2007?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search