Copy text from Word to Excel
Thread poster: Sandra Venker

Sandra Venker
Local time: 20:51
Jul 31, 2011

Dear colleagues, I hope that someone could help me.

I have received an Excel file with SW strings to be translated from English into German. In order to mark all non translatable elements as 'external', I copied the text from Excel into Word first and sent this Word file to the translator who translated the strings using Trados.

Now, I have tried to copy-paste the translated strings from Word to the original Excel file. A number of the words/sentences need to be in the
... See more
Dear colleagues, I hope that someone could help me.

I have received an Excel file with SW strings to be translated from English into German. In order to mark all non translatable elements as 'external', I copied the text from Excel into Word first and sent this Word file to the translator who translated the strings using Trados.

Now, I have tried to copy-paste the translated strings from Word to the original Excel file. A number of the words/sentences need to be in the same cell in Excel. But when I copied the text from Word into Excel, each word/sentence was pasted into a separate cell. Does anyone know how I can paste them from Word to Excel correctly or edit the Excel file easily?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Try checking hidden characters Jul 31, 2011

We've had something rather like this before, you may be able to find the previous forum thread.

Basically, as I understand it, every time Excel 'sees' a hard return (displays as ¶ if you toggle the display of 'hidden' formatting characters on), it starts a new cell.

For those cells where you want the text to run on, you'll need to remove the hard paragraph and replace it with a soft return instead.

Depending on how many cells are involved in each type of s
... See more
We've had something rather like this before, you may be able to find the previous forum thread.

Basically, as I understand it, every time Excel 'sees' a hard return (displays as ¶ if you toggle the display of 'hidden' formatting characters on), it starts a new cell.

For those cells where you want the text to run on, you'll need to remove the hard paragraph and replace it with a soft return instead.

Depending on how many cells are involved in each type of situation (run on / not run on), it may be best to 'replace all' hard returns in Word before copying back into Excel; or alternatively, just remove the ones that are causing the problem (i.e. that are within cells where the sentences ought to run on.

But beware! I think I'm right in saying that Excel fails to recognize Word soft returns properly; so two situations may arise: if the text in the celle is simply meant to run on continuously, all you need to is to replace the offending ¶ by a space. However, if you in fact wish for there to be a soft return within the Excel target cell, you may need to proceed differently. forgive me if I remember wrongly, but I think what you need to do in this case is to replace (in Word) the ¶ that are wanted as soft returns within the Excel cells by some character that does not occur anywhere else in your document (for example §, etc.)

Then, you can paste your text into Excel, and then 'search and replace' your chosen special character with an Excel soft return — normally, the code for this is Alt + Enter (I think!), but when you enter this into the 'search and replace' box, it doesn't appear to do anything, but I think you'll find it will actually work.

The ideal thing would be if you can locate the original forum thread in which someoine more expert than I explained all this! In any event, I suggest you do an experiment first on a copy of your file, and only touch the original once you've got it sussed!

Good luck!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A much simpler approach? Jul 31, 2011

Wouldn't it work for you if you hid all non-translatable cells in Excel, and then used Trados to translate the visible parts? I think that copying to Word might add an unnecessary step.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Use the "Concatenate" function in Excel Jul 31, 2011

If your content is inadvertently pasted across several columns (or rows), the concatenate function in Excel will string the content of several cells into a single cell. You can also use the fill function to quickly concatenate the cells in the columns of each row down the line. When you have the desired result in a single column, copy it then paste it over itself using paste special>paste values. Afterwards delete the individual columns you don't need anymore.

... See more
If your content is inadvertently pasted across several columns (or rows), the concatenate function in Excel will string the content of several cells into a single cell. You can also use the fill function to quickly concatenate the cells in the columns of each row down the line. When you have the desired result in a single column, copy it then paste it over itself using paste special>paste values. Afterwards delete the individual columns you don't need anymore.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/concatenate-HP005209020.aspx

[Edited at 2011-07-31 20:39 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:51
Japanese to English
Paste into the formula bar.... Aug 1, 2011

Purely low-tech, but:

Instead of hitting Paste on the highlighted/selected cell, put the cursor in the formula bar area at the top before you paste...This will paste the copied text, including line breaks, into one cell...

A bit tedious, but it works...

Source: http://www.systems2win.com/c/worksheets.htm#Editing

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-08-01 02:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-01 02:17 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Line breaks Aug 1, 2011

This may help you ... excerpt from http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translating_Excel_files_in_Wordfast

If there were line breaks within the original cells before you pasted into Word, you will not be able to paste those cells back into Excel at the end of translation. Excel will think that each line break is a separate cell, resulting in a big mess!
... See more
This may help you ... excerpt from http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translating_Excel_files_in_Wordfast

If there were line breaks within the original cells before you pasted into Word, you will not be able to paste those cells back into Excel at the end of translation. Excel will think that each line break is a separate cell, resulting in a big mess!

Now calm down and try this – I have tested it and it works. Thanks to Carlos Montilla for posting this solution!

1. On your clean Word file, Find and Replace ^l with XCXCXC (or any other strange string of letters).
2. Now copy the text from Word and paste in Excel. Make sure you still have the same amount of columns and lines as the original text.
3. Using the Excel Find and Replace, replace XCXCXC with Alt+010 (with the cursor in the "replace" field, hold down the 'Alt' button and type the numbers '010'. The field will remain blank, it looks like nothing happened, but in fact, it's there – just blank)
4. Now you have your text back in Excel, with line breaks as they should be!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy text from Word to Excel

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search