Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 31, 2011

I've just received some work in Excel, PM gone home, and I find the cells are password protected so can't copy/amend/nothing. Is there any way round this?

thanks

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:11
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sympathy! Sep 1, 2011

Oh dear, I've encountered exactly the same problem before, and on that occasion, I was unable to find a way round it — perhaps others more skilled with computers than I would be able to!

However, I was just wondering if you might be able to get round it if you can print the spreadsheet? If so, can you print it to PDF (if necessary, download a free PDF writer like Nitro PrimoPDF), then copy-and-paste the result into either a fresh .XLS or a .DOC or something — anything, to
... See more
Oh dear, I've encountered exactly the same problem before, and on that occasion, I was unable to find a way round it — perhaps others more skilled with computers than I would be able to!

However, I was just wondering if you might be able to get round it if you can print the spreadsheet? If so, can you print it to PDF (if necessary, download a free PDF writer like Nitro PrimoPDF), then copy-and-paste the result into either a fresh .XLS or a .DOC or something — anything, to get you out of trouble?

Just a tiny idea, you'll have to see first of all if you can at least print the darned thing?!

PS: Have just tried the experiment, and it worked OK with a non-password-protected XLS, except that the cell formatting was lost. Depending on how complex your XLS is, that might or might not be a problem, and one that you could probably sort out (with patience!) by working in Word first, for example.

PPS: What seems to go wrong is that no tabs are inserted, so the columns are lost; if your spreadsheet is not too complex, I don't know if it might be possible to insert dummy columns between the existing columns (assuming, of course, that it will even allow you to do this!), filled with a special character, which in Word you could then search-&-replace with 'tab'. You could then convert text to table, and you'd have something more or less fit to paste back into a clean XLS.

[Modifié le 2011-09-01 00:21 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
SORTED! Sep 1, 2011

Tony, thanks but I found the solution by googling the problem!
I uploaded the file to Google Docs then downloaded it in .xls format and that did the trick. Much relief chez Garcia where one ancient cat wants her bed.
One more to go.

Suzi

Teymur Suleymanov
Teymur Suleymanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:11
Russian to English
+ ...
You can use some software to remove the password Sep 1, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I've just received some work in Excel, PM gone home, and I find the cells are password protected so can't copy/amend/nothing. Is there any way round this?

thanks

For starters, may I just say that I think it's pretty lousy for the PM to forget about such an important thing as a PW protection before going home...

However, clever people have long ago invented ways to crack the MS Office PW protection.
One way (among many) to do this is just to use a software called "Excel Password Remover PRO":
http://www.straxx.com/excel/PasswordPRO.html

I think the page says that the demo version is as good as the purchase one except some popups, but you only need this for a one time shot, and then you can go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

HTH
Teymur

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ms Excel - Password Protected Cells

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »