https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/20930-need_help_with_footnotes_numbering_problem_ms_word_2002.html

Need help with footnotes numbering problem - MS Word 2002
Thread poster: Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
May 5, 2004

Help! It is a classic problem: I deleted some text from my Word document and now my footnotes are out of order. They start at 1 and then continue with 4, after which they're fine.

I have tried the renumbering suggestion described here
http://www.proz.com/post/61434#61434
but it just doesn't work. And when I try to insert a new footnote after 1, it is numbered correctly with
... See more
Help! It is a classic problem: I deleted some text from my Word document and now my footnotes are out of order. They start at 1 and then continue with 4, after which they're fine.

I have tried the renumbering suggestion described here
http://www.proz.com/post/61434#61434
but it just doesn't work. And when I try to insert a new footnote after 1, it is numbered correctly with 2, but then the rest continue with 5.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
ADMIN: moving this thread May 5, 2004

Dear Michele,
I have moved your posting from General Technical Issues to the new forum
"Office Applications", specifically created for all issues regarding the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) and any other alternative Office suites

There are a number of new Technical forums, created with the aim of keeping together the most recurrent similar topics, instead of a generic forum for too many and very different subjects: software, hardware, security,
... See more
Dear Michele,
I have moved your posting from General Technical Issues to the new forum
"Office Applications", specifically created for all issues regarding the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) and any other alternative Office suites

There are a number of new Technical forums, created with the aim of keeping together the most recurrent similar topics, instead of a generic forum for too many and very different subjects: software, hardware, security, etc.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
More copying and pasting... May 5, 2004

Hi Michele,

If normal solutions don't work, it sounds like something has got corrupted probably in the area where you chopped out the section of text.

As Footnote 4 seems to be updating itself (after a fashion), if you copy the text from Footnote 4 onwards and paste it into a fresh document, 4 is quite likely to revert to 1 and start behaving itself.

Then you can test pasting in some of the
... See more
Hi Michele,

If normal solutions don't work, it sounds like something has got corrupted probably in the area where you chopped out the section of text.

As Footnote 4 seems to be updating itself (after a fashion), if you copy the text from Footnote 4 onwards and paste it into a fresh document, 4 is quite likely to revert to 1 and start behaving itself.

Then you can test pasting in some of the preceding text/footnotes above that, a little at a time (or at least, not right down to the suspected point where the document got corrupted).

Use "Undo" the moment there's any trouble (i.e. if the corrupted area gets copied across and starts to wreak its havoc again). It's possible that a little section will have to be typed in afresh if this happens.

Good luck - Deborah
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What about May 6, 2004

selecting the whole document with CTRl+A and pressing F9 afterwards. This forces Word to refresh all links and automatic values.

It's just a thought, but may work, if the footnotes have automaticaly inserted numbers.

Regards
Jerzy

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You saved the day! May 6, 2004

Deborah Shannon wrote:
...if you copy the text from Footnote 4 onwards and paste it into a fresh document, 4 is quite likely to revert to 1 and start behaving itself.

Why didn't I think of this? It certainly did the trick. It was in fact easier than you suggested: I copied all the text up to and including footnote 1 into a new file, and then all the text after, including (the wrongly numbered) footnote 4 and all the subsequent footnotes. Word fixed everything automatically.

Thanks again Deborah!

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion, but... May 6, 2004

selecting the whole document with CTRl+A and pressing F9 afterwards. This forces Word to refresh all links and automatic values.

Thanks Jerzy. This was something I had already tried, but no luck. I guess footnotes aren't the kind of fields/numbers that get updated via F9.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with footnotes numbering problem - MS Word 2002

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »