Are Open Office and MS Office 2010 compatible?
Thread poster: SandraV

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:29
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

Hi,

I would like to try the free OmegaT CAT tool, but I have read that it is necessary to use Open Office. I already have MS Office 2010 installed on my PC, so I need to know if these programs are compatible and if I can have both programs installed on the same PC.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pierre Souchar  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:29
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Yes, they are Oct 11, 2011

Hello,
I have used OmegaT for a while and I think it is getting better every day. Now, you don't even need to use Openoffice if you have a .docx file... But with that type of files you may have some concern with tags, that can pollute your segments. But if you take some precautions, like not allowing the language tools on Word, you won't fell the tags.
There is a large community using OmegaT. You can join them at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/
They will answer any question in a very short time.
OmegaT is now compatible with a lot of files, even Indesign files.
Sometimes I still use OpenOffice for some documents with complicated layouts... and sometimes I get some surprises but I also work in Apple computer and I guess it doesn't help.

Anyway, give it a try, and take some time to read the manual, you will take a view of all the possibilities... and all that for free...

If you like it, you are invited then to collaborate with the project, like translating the manuals, creating ones, etc, etc...

Good luck !

Pierre Souchar

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Long time ago Oct 11, 2011

Sandra de la Vega wrote:
I would like to try the free OmegaT CAT tool, but I have read that it is necessary to use Open Office.

A long time ago, that was true. These days you can use MS Office 2010 documents with OmegaT. No need to install OpenOffice.org (now called LibreOffice).

However, you can safely install it if you want. When LibreOffice asks you if you want it to open MS Office files, answer "no".

Huasha
China
Local time: 16:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Oct 11, 2011

As far as I know, yes, in my computer I installed both MS office and openoffice.
To use omegaT you don't have to install openoffice necessarily, though, it's always good to try new things.
By the way, if you really wanna have a try, use libreoffice, it's recommended rather than openoffice.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OO Oct 12, 2011

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Sandra de la Vega wrote:
No need to install OpenOffice.org (now called LibreOffice).

I had to install OpenOffice (which I hate) 2 weeks ago to work for one client and it it was still called OpenOffice then...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OOo vs LO Oct 12, 2011

neilmac wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
No need to install OpenOffice.org (now called LibreOffice).

I had to install OpenOffice (which I hate) 2 weeks ago to work for one client and it it was still called OpenOffice then...

The company that recently bought the company that used to develop the product that used to be called OpenOffice.org is still using the name "OpenOffice.org" (as is their right, since they bought it) but they are no longer actively developing the product itself in the way it was actively developed before it was bought by them.

Thanks to the nature of the license of the product previously called OpenOffice.org the product itself is still being developed by developers who develop it actively in the way that it used to be actively develope4d, but they may no longer use the name "OpenOffice.org" (because the name is now owned by the company that bought the company that used to develop OpenOffice.org until recently), so the developers of that product now call it "LibreOffice".

You can still download something called "OpenOffice.org" but that would be the product in the state that it was as it was at the time that the company was sold (i.e. barely any further developments). Or you could download LibreOffice, which is the same product, but further developed, as it would have been further developed if the companay that used to develop it wasn't sold.

Confusing? Yes... but that is because product names are trademarked, not copyrighted.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
LibO and OOo are different Oct 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thanks to the nature of the license of the product previously called OpenOffice.org the product itself is still being developed by developers

LibreOffice is not the same product as OpenOffice.org, it is OOo's fork. Moreover, LibO is derived from Go-OO rather than from plain OOo.

You can still download something called "OpenOffice.org"

And I recommend OOo because LibO (3.4.3) still shows worse stability (especially noticeable on Windows 7) and offers no real improvement as compared to OOo (3.3.0). Ah, yeah, LibO's icons are more colorful, but I doubt that this should be considered in view of everyday work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are Open Office and MS Office 2010 compatible?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search