Thread poster: elizabeth_med
elizabeth_med  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:12
French to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

Hello!
I have a long French document with tons of different euro amounts in it.
format : 30,00 €

I need to change them all to the US standard format for euro amounts, i.e.:

€ 30.00

Is there a way I can find and replace this kind of thing in microsoft word? I have a very new version of word. Or is there a way to do this automatically in Trados 2007? I don't want to manually change them all, as that would take a very long time. I am hoping there is a quite automated way to do this! Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
If it's in word Oct 24, 2011

then I don't think there is an easy way.

YOu can half automate it by replacing ,00 by .00. But this only works for amounts in ,00. You can do ,1 to .1 etc (takes a little more time) but with thousands (1.123,45) life gets more complicated. I usually do as follows: Replace all .0 by #0, and the same up to .9. Then change all ,0 to .0 and then up to .9, then change all # to ,
It works assuming that , followed directly by a number is a decimal marker, and . followed by a number is a thousand or million marker. It does nto work if, as in some continental (not European, UK is the same as US) a . is used to mark the million and you have figures in millions in your text.

Not sure what trados does.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
English to Russian
+ ...
regular expressions Oct 24, 2011

may do the trick

Sometimes I use this feature of indesign to change the format in the text and return it to word for further translation.

However, last ms word should have something like regexes either.

[Edited at 2011-10-24 12:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-24 12:52 GMT]

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, does work in Word Oct 24, 2011

David Wright wrote:

then I don't think there is an easy way.

Yes, I feel sure that the procedure I saw for this did indeed work OK in Word; it involved several passes, of search-&-replace, but was still a very efficient tool. I WISH I could find it again now...

France
French to English
+ ...
Some suggestions in this thread Oct 24, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/11627-creating_word_macro_for_searchingreplacing_strings.html

Two posters in this thread recommended utilities for search and replace functions, possibly something there might help you.

You should be able to use wildcards easily enough to enable you to replace every , occurring between 2 figures with a . — as long, of course, as there aren't other such occurrences in your document.

Likewise, it's not difficult to serahc and replace [any figure]€ (or with intervening space if your doc is formatted that way) with nothing in order to get rid of the trailing €s; the thing I find most tricky is to re-insert them at the front; depnding on your document, if the only figures it contains are money, then you might be able to search on 'space followoed by any figure' and replace that with '€[NBSP]'figure; however, you'd be very lucky if that was the case.

You could try search and replace using wild cards for [variable length string of figures] followed by €, then replace with some unique attribute, so as to identify only those figures that do actually represent monetary amounts; then the above suggestions should work.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can do this in word Oct 24, 2011

You can do this in word, by using what word calls regular expressions, which as you will see are not "regular", but do the trick.

There are loads of these expressions and getting into them would be too complex, but basically what you need to do is this (if you just copy the expressions it will be really quick):

Click on Ctrl+H
Click on More
Make sure "Use wildcards" is selected.

Now you have to do this in 4 steps:

Step 1 change where the € sign is

In find type: "(<*>),(<*>) €" (without any of the quote marks I had to put them in to disp0lay some of the characters correctly)
This tells word to look for all combinations where there is a Euro sign followed a space, followed by any combination of characters followed by a comma ( no spaces) followed by any combination of characters (no spaces).

In replace with type: "€ \1,\2" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to put in the first combination of characters, then put a comma in, then the second combination of characters, then a space and then the € sign.

Click replace all

So with this you have changed 30,00 € to € 30,00 and 1.225.362,32 € to € 1.225.362,32, now we need to change the commas for periods and the periods for commas.

Step 2 change the commas

First the commas we will change them to ;

In find type: "([0-9]),([0-9])" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to look for all combinations where there is a number followed by a comma followed by another number (no spaces).

In replace with type: "\1;\2" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to put in the first number, then put in a semicolon, then the second number (no spaces).

So with this you have changed € 30,00 to 30;00 € and € 1.225.362,32 to 1.225.362;32 €

Step 3 change the periods

In find type: "([0-9]).([0-9])" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to look for all combinations where there is a number followed by a period followed by another number (no spaces).

In replace with type: "\1,\2" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to put in the first number, then put in a comma, then the second number (no spaces).

So with this you have changed € 30;00 to 30;00 € (no change) and € 1.225.362;32 to 1,225,362;32 €

Step 4 change the semicolons

In find type: "([0-9]);([0-9])" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to look for all combinations where there is a number followed by a semicolon followed by another number (no spaces).

In replace with type: "\1.\2" (without the quote marks)
This tells word to put in the first number, then put in a period then the second number (no spaces).

So with this you have changed € 30,00 to 30.00 € and € 1,225,362;32 to 1,225,362.32 €

Finished

There may be a quicker way to do this but if there is I don't know it.

France
French to English
+ ...
Thanks, Alex! Oct 24, 2011

That's brilliant!

That was exactly the sort of thing I vaguely remembered having seen before, but now you've explained it, I think I shall remember how to do it.

Thanks so much!

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
What is... Oct 24, 2011

the thousand separator?

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Here's a great resource... Oct 24, 2011

http://translationjournal.net/journal/15msw.htm

Good luck!

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
I would try this... Oct 24, 2011

...(for me Alex's first step does not work correctly, if the value is embedded in text or there are several values following each other)(with Word 2003).
Go to Edit/Replace and check wildcard checkbox (except the 3rd step).
In 4 steps Find the formula in the upper line and Replace it with the one under it.

([0-9]).([0-9])
\1ß\2

([0-9]{1,}),([0-9]{1,})
\1.\2

ß

([0-9.,]{1,}) €
€ \1

ß is a suitable character which temporarily replaces the thousand separators (not in the original text).
Note the space in front of (upper line) and after € (lower line), resp., in the 4th step.
Hope this works.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
English to Tamil
+ ...
Control + H are all fine, but the mess will be greater with even one step taken incorrectly Oct 25, 2011

Let us call a spade a spade.

Many clients are reluctant to pay for the numbers at the usual word rate. I had hectic discussions with some of them. My suggestions to them were as follows:

1. Remove all the numbers from the original without of course compromising the readability. For example in a big table containing just numbers they can easily remove them and with the column headings remaining intact, the text will be still comprehensible. In that case good riddance of the problem of reformatting the numbers.

2. If that happens, the client is saddled with the problem of refitting the numbers in the translated text's table and do the needful for reformatting, the subject matter of this forum post. Let him stew in his own juice.

3. But a shrewd client will not agree to the above (especially after one such nightmarish experience) and demand that I do everything and yet charge only a portion of the word rate if not do it free of cost.

4. At this point my body language will make it clear to the client as to where he can shove the job on his person (no obscene gestures of course, even the polite tone of refusal will convey the idea)!!!

5. In most of the cases the client will agree to pay the full rate for the numbers too.

6. In that case oh lazy translator, what prevents you from doing the reformatting manually? It goes faster than you think and you cover a lot more words in that bargain. That is easier money!

7. Take deep breath and proceed.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

[Edited at 2011-10-25 03:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-25 09:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change French (European) formatted numbers to US formatted numbers

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search