Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:06
English to French
+ ...
Oct 27, 2011

Hi

I am working (ENG to FR) on a text in pptx format. The police is Calibri 16 but when I type an é or a ç, the police automatically changes to Arial. I have to highlight the one letter and change the police from the top of the page toolbar. Even if I cut a sentence with the right police on all letters (after I have corrected through highlighting etc.) , the é and ç reverts to Arial. I have set my general police to Calibri 16 from the Format menu. I also tried to select and appl
... See more
Hi

I am working (ENG to FR) on a text in pptx format. The police is Calibri 16 but when I type an é or a ç, the police automatically changes to Arial. I have to highlight the one letter and change the police from the top of the page toolbar. Even if I cut a sentence with the right police on all letters (after I have corrected through highlighting etc.) , the é and ç reverts to Arial. I have set my general police to Calibri 16 from the Format menu. I also tried to select and apply the format to my text before typing but to no avail. (Idem for cutting from a word format and pasting)
Does anyone know of a set up I missed or what I can do to avoid this painstaking highlighting of letters one at a time.
Thank you
Ode
Collapse

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 15:06
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Police = font Oct 27, 2011

Hi Odette,

I'm sorry I can't help with your problem but you might be better changing the word 'police' to 'font' to make it clearer for others.

Kate

TAPIRUS PAZARLAMA LTD.
TAPIRUS PAZARLAMA LTD.
Türkiye
Local time: 16:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
weird thou? Oct 27, 2011

Hi,

If the text box is a copied version from another text with a different font (police) which was previously used in other slides OR

If the text box is not plain text but heading box originally;

then the font always plays this game with you (I remembered the same problem from my presentations). What I did was to create a plain text box in the slide and put all text again into it by formatting it to Calibri 16. Or change the font for entire box not by selec
... See more
Hi,

If the text box is a copied version from another text with a different font (police) which was previously used in other slides OR

If the text box is not plain text but heading box originally;

then the font always plays this game with you (I remembered the same problem from my presentations). What I did was to create a plain text box in the slide and put all text again into it by formatting it to Calibri 16. Or change the font for entire box not by selecting single letter but clicking on the box itself and changing font to Calibri.

This may occur because Office pptx realizes ç and é as symbols and symbols always takes the default font.

It is weird because I created two slides to test this and make a text boxes in it. I coped them several times and then changed fonts to Calibri 16 for one of them. I also tried to enter letters é and ç. Font did not change to Arial.

Solution: If the general font is Calibri for entire pptx, then before you translate the text in the box, just click on the slide and select all from the edit menu. Change font to Calibri.
I hope there should be some very short/quick answers and someone drop it quickly.
Arzu
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:06
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Create shortcuts from Calibri font Oct 27, 2011

Since Calibri does include these accented characters, you could bring them up in the Insert>Symbol menu and create shortcuts for them, e.g. ctrl+e for é and alt+c for ç. Then you can use these combinations to insert these characters.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:06
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Oct 28, 2011

Since I discovered the Werecat utility, I don't bother to translate directly in PPT any more, it's too much hassle!

I don't know if this would solve your problem, but what I do is export the PPT text into Word using Werecat — no longer supported, but still downloadable, I believe from this site:

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

I can then make any f
... See more
Since I discovered the Werecat utility, I don't bother to translate directly in PPT any more, it's too much hassle!

I don't know if this would solve your problem, but what I do is export the PPT text into Word using Werecat — no longer supported, but still downloadable, I believe from this site:

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

I can then make any formatting changes I need, as well as translate of course, and then the text just pops back in clean as a whistle!

I don't know if this would obviate your problem or not, but at least, it's a lot easier to fiddle around with things like fonts etc. in Word.

Just one word of warning, though: it messes up the re-insertion if you (perhaps accidentally) add or delete any line returns!

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font change within a word in pptx

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »