Printing problem
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2004

My printer is printing page after page of hieroglyphics.

It's done this before but usually just a handful of pages. This time, every time I attempt to print something, it just carries on with these hieroglyphics.

I have tried disconnecting, cancelling, etc etc, but it won't stop.

I have just changed the ink. It's an Epson 440 Colour Stylus.

Any suggestions on how to make it behave?

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
try this May 20, 2004

Hi Ailish,

Ailish Maher wrote:

Any suggestions on how to make it behave?

Try switching the printer off, cancel all printing jobs and restart the computer.

I used to have a similar problem with an Epson 640, it just used to go funny from time to time.

Hope this helps!
Grace.

ps. I mean cancel all printing jobs from the software...by double clicking in the printer icon in the task bar. That should open the print manager window and you should find the printing jobs queued or in process (or hanged!!)

[Edited at 2004-05-20 12:26]

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Try to uninstall&reinstall the software package of your device May 20, 2004

Sometimes it works.
Have a nice time

Marko

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It seems as would you have an old printer driver May 20, 2004

Vist the Epson homepage, download the latest driver for your printer.
Deinstall the printer completly from your system. When asked if you want to remove all printer related files from your system say YES.
Switch the printer off.
Reboot the computer.
Install the driver.
Maybe you have to switch the printer on in the meantime, ie for printing a test page or when prompted.

If you do not switch the printer off when rebooting Windows will usually detect this printer. If this happens, cacel the Windows installation wizzard, but install the original Epson driver instead.

This should help.
If it doesn´t, then your printer could possibly be damaged, but this is unlikely.

Regards
Jerzy

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all:-) May 20, 2004

Graciela's tip worked straight off, and will also look into Jerzy's suggestion.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:55
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm late but... May 20, 2004

I also have an Epson 440 and this also happened to me from time to time. But in the end, in my case, it turned out to be a damaged port.

Hope it is not your case!

Good luck!
Andrea

Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
printing problems May 24, 2004

Normally garbage comes out of your printer, when your printer does not understand the input. This can have various causes:
-hardware, e.g. broken printer port, or malfunctioning cable
-interference: an electric device is placed too close to the printer or cable (I have had a case, where the printer cable was placed round te back of a fridge. When the cable and fridge were set further apart the problem was solved.)
-cable too long
-software:
a) the printer driver is corrupted: replace it with an updated one. It is always best to get the latest version possible when you have any kind of printing problems.
b) the printer does not support the program you're printing from (e.g. adobe programs often cause problems): contact your technical support for professional troubleshooting. You can test if this is the case by trying to print from diffent programs. If only one has a problem, this is most likely the case.
c) a specific file is corrupted. Try another file from the same program.

Anyway, always first try to print:
a) test page from your printer (see your manual)
b) a test page from your printer driver: start settings printers: rightclick on your printer-properties-print testpage
(if you call for tech support, they will almost always ask for these two printouts)

If these work fine, you know you don't have a problem in the printer itself or with the cable. After that try the things above. And don't hesitate to ask for help. Where you are spending hours troubleshooting, often a technician may solve the problem with you in ten minutes!

Desi
(ex lexmark laserprinter technician)

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same problem again May 26, 2004

thanks to all, I will try the various suggestions,

seems to happen after I print a huge PDF document, as Desi pointed out "b) the printer does not support the program you're printing from (e.g. adobe programs often cause problems): contact your technical support for professional troubleshooting. You can test if this is the case by trying to print from diffent programs. If only one has a problem, this is most likely the case."

Only problem is it just wont stop printing hieroglyphics!

like it was getting fed up:-)

[Edited at 2004-05-26 20:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printing problem

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search