Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:55
English to German
+ ...
Dec 16, 2011

Hi,
I am having trouble replacing an PowerPoint slide in Word.

The slide itself in PowerPoint was given to me to translate, which I did.
Now I need to replace the old one in a Word file. There are two slides altogether on two separate pages.
I followed the instructions on Microsoft and other sources, but I can't seem to get them in the word file and keep the formatting.

I do this:
I open both documents, the Word and the Powerpoint.
Then, i
... See more
Hi,
I am having trouble replacing an PowerPoint slide in Word.

The slide itself in PowerPoint was given to me to translate, which I did.
Now I need to replace the old one in a Word file. There are two slides altogether on two separate pages.
I followed the instructions on Microsoft and other sources, but I can't seem to get them in the word file and keep the formatting.

I do this:
I open both documents, the Word and the Powerpoint.
Then, in Word, I go to insert and say insert object. There you get two choices, either create a new one or from file. The from file version seems to go nowhere, the create new one creates a new empty slide in Word but I can't seem to get the Powerpoint slide in and keep the green rotating dot which I need because one of the slides I need to rotate 90 degrees.
When I try to paste special into word using the option for PowerPoint slide, it does paste a slide but I can't rotate it and I have no green dot.
Your help is appreciated.

Somehow it must have to do with different file formats that won't go together. Maybe.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Bernhard
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:55
French to English
+ ...
A workaround Dec 16, 2011

Save the presentation as a set of JPEG images (using Save As...), then insert them into Word. You will be able to rotate them.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Vorschlag Dec 16, 2011

Wenn die Grafik in Word gepasted ist:

Rechtsklick
Grafik formatieren
Layout vor dem Text
Grafik formatieren
Grösse
Drehung 90°

Viel Erfolg!
Rolf

[Bearbeitet am 2011-12-16 20:46 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Drehung Dec 16, 2011

Rolf Kern wrote:

Wenn die Grafik in Word gepasted ist:

Rechtsklick
Grafik formatieren
Layout vor dem Text
Grafik formatieren
Grösse
Drehung 90°

Viel Erfolg!
Rolf

[Bearbeitet am 2011-12-16 20:46 GMT]

Hallo Rolf.

Bis zur Drehung komme ich, aber die Drehungsoption ist nicht offen.

Bernhard

[Edited at 2011-12-16 21:37 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workable solution Dec 17, 2011

After tinkering with it, I can tell you this:

First, the Word file into which I was trying to paste the PowerPoint slide had some permission lock. Not a big problem, just save the file under a new name.

Then I accepted all the changes and turned track changes off - it was an unclean file. I also opened it in the old Word format (1997-2003) as the program suggested.

Pasting the PowerPoint slide into Word:
Now, first I tried to copy and paste t
... See more
After tinkering with it, I can tell you this:

First, the Word file into which I was trying to paste the PowerPoint slide had some permission lock. Not a big problem, just save the file under a new name.

Then I accepted all the changes and turned track changes off - it was an unclean file. I also opened it in the old Word format (1997-2003) as the program suggested.

Pasting the PowerPoint slide into Word:
Now, first I tried to copy and paste the actual PowerPoint slides into Word which, by the way, consisted of many separate pics + text "per" slide, like a mosaic. That's what I got in Word, every slide consisted of many little graphics with embedded text, so I could not rotate the entire slide, I would have had to rotate every single little graphic with text that made up the actual slide.
So, embedding such a slide in Word is possible but rotating it is ridiculous.

Creating a JPG/picture from the slide and pasting it into Word (.doc format) and rotating it:
Finally, I realized that what I had to replace in the original document were actually two JPG pictures, not PP slides. That was quite a relief although I felt like an idiot for not realizing it earlier. So then I simply created two JPGS from my two slides and was ready to first paste them at the right spot in the Word document, then rotate them and then adjust their size.

Not so easy:
That seemed at first quite a problem and had to do with the way the original pics and text were formatted in the original Word file. Important is to make sure the file you are editing has been renamed and there are no more permission restrictions/editing locks present.
I then was finally able to cut the old pics and paste the new ones. It took me awhile to realize I had to first cut the second pic (the one that came later in the document) to be able to cut the first one. Then I had to find the exact spot where to paste the pics on the page, again pasting the second picture first. Important here is to make sure to choose the correct kind of special paste option (I am using Word 2010 but editing an old Word file - if one paste option doesn't seem to work, try another). It also turned out I had to go to the bottom of the page to paste the pic (a full-page pic except for a two-line headline already present in Word), otherwise you couldn't see the pics at all, and that worked for the old Word format (1907-2003), the format in which the file was created. I was able to rotate them and adjust their size. I am not sure you run into the same problems, but what happened to me can happen again or slightly differently.

Doing the same pasting and rotating in a new Word document (docx)
I saved a copy of the file as a new Word document, and of course it did not show the pics at all. I had to tinker with the pages, figure out again how to have a clean empty spot for the pic because there were some funny lines left over after saving the doc file in docx. Then I had to fiigure out again where to paste the pictures, and this time it was at the top of the page but again I had to paste the second pic first.

Hope this might help somebody in the future.
So, I would say it's not difficult and pretty cool to embed and use PowerPoint slides in Word documents you are creating, and there are directions for it on microsoft.com - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/link-or-embed-a-powerpoint-slide-HA010120811.aspx - but the task might become a little more complicated when you are working with an already created Word file.

In addition, if these slides are complex mosaics of many little graphics with embedded text, rotating them in Word is not recommended.

On the other hand, creating pictures from the slides and pasting these into Word and then rotating them (by holding the green dot) is a breeze as long as you can figure out the idiosyncracies of the original file format and possible issues regarding permission, editing locks and individual page formats. I did make sure to select a size for these pics in PowerPoint before I saved them as pics that corresponded to that of the pics in the original file. I had no problem adjusting their size later in Word (meaning, without getting a blurry pic).

Any thoughts?

Bernhard

[Edited at 2011-12-17 06:11 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

embedding powerpoint slide into Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »