NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

May 28, 2004

Hi everyone,
I get to admit my profound obtuseness once again... but I've spent a day looking for this and my client needs it.

This is what I did:
The client sent me a ppt presentation, asking me to correct it, which I did. (it's a big document).
But: when I received his e-mail I opened the attachment to look at the file and see if I could do the job; when I decided I could I just went to work. I didn't save it anywhere!!!!. At the end, an hour and a half later, I clicked the diskette icon to save the doc and closed it, in the same heart-stopping instant realising I had just send it to the bowels of the computer... in temporary files. aaarrrgh!
So to make things easier for myself, I did a Search on the hard drive for *.ppt. This turned up a variety of items, but not what I need.
I did various searches with a single word from the title, then from the first line of the first slide... still nothing. I looked manually at the tmep folders, no ppt file.

Any ideas? I don't want to spend another hour and a half on that doc, I have to get ready for a bunch of weekend company and still have work to be done for today!!!

Help!
Thanks so much, people

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Not that I'm computer savvy.... May 28, 2004

But can't you repeat the procedure? Find the e-mail, click on the attachment, open it and then do a "save as" so you can put it where you want it.

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
Latvian to English
+ ...
Agree May 28, 2004

cbolton wrote:

But can't you repeat the procedure? Find the e-mail, click on the attachment, open it and then do a "save as" so you can put it where you want it.

Speaking from recent experience, this method certainly works with Word documents. Fingers crossed that it also works with PowerPoint presentations.

[Edited at 2004-05-28 15:08]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Nancy, Hope you have already found it May 28, 2004

If not yet, try:
C: Documents and Settings/your user name/Your documents

[Edited at 2004-05-28 15:17]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Agree with Catherine (Bolton)... May 28, 2004

I've done that myself many times... I open it from the e-mail, I work on it, and them I forget to save it with "save as"... as a result, the file is saved in a Temp folder. To find it, open it again from the e-mail and save it with the "save as" commad, in the folder of your choice.

G

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I'm looking for the edited version May 28, 2004

I can resave the attachment as sent to me from the client - but it has no editing on it - I lost all my work!
N.

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where does it get stored? May 28, 2004

OPEN the attachment and do as if you were going to save it, look at where it goes... That is probably where the previous one is. Find that folder with a strange name IIEEFDE24 sort of thing. If you saved your work it is stored in one of Outlook's temp folders. Provided you are using Outlook, of course.

I tried this and my attachment was going to get saved in MZIL4NIR (of courSe the name will be differnet!). The path was:

Documents and Settings

Patricia (we have 2 profiles)

Local Configuration (??)

Internet Temporary Files (??)

Content IE5

MZIL4NIR

[Edited at 2004-05-28 16:09]

[Edited at 2004-05-28 16:12]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Have you trid ? May 28, 2004

C: Documents and Settings/My user name/My documents

You have to change "My user name" into your actual user name.

I just tried to save a new PPT file without giving any indicated address. Automatically, it was saved there.

[Edited at 2004-05-28 16:03]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It's in your email May 28, 2004

I just proceeded exactly as you described,
(with an email sent to myself)
then I re-opened the mail with the ppt attachment
and the changes were still there.

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
found doc in temp - unchanged May 28, 2004

thanks everybody.

I did find the document in the Temp folder, in a folder as Patricia said, WBXL05BAM, but guess what... all the changes I put on it are gone!

Back to the drawing board...

N.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Too quick May 28, 2004

I tried again, and noticed that the changes are stored in the attachement only until you go to another email folder..

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Probably... May 28, 2004

it all disappeared whe you stored it again... I thing it is overwritten...:-(

Bon courage.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
a small suggestion May 28, 2004

Hi Nancy,

This falls in the category of closing the barn door after the horse is gone, but (at the risk of telling you something your already know), I make a rule of never editing an original file received from a client. And since I sometimes forget this rule, I make a practice of always saving attachments into individual folders *and* immediately changing the file property to 'read-only'. That's saved my skin several times already, since if I forget to make a copy before starting to work on the file, Windows forces me to make a copy the first time I hit Control-S.

best regards -- ken

[Edited at 2004-05-28 19:40]

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone May 28, 2004

I can't imagine what happened to all those corrections. But I did find the original file in my temp folders, and of course as an attachment to the e-mail I never deleted.
I ended up redoing the work as that took less time than trying to find the edited doc.
I sure hope I don't shoot myself in the foot like that again any time soon!
Thanks everyone, and enjoy the weekend. Let's hope for sun & heat for a change!

Nancy

Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
A bit late ... May 30, 2004

but if something like that should happen again, your document should be in your list of most recently used files (Start|Documents). Alternatively, you could try opening PowerPoint (from the Start|Programs menu) and then choosing your document from the list of most recently saved documents under the File menu.

Best,

Gabrielle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost Power Point presentation

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search