Thread poster: sofyabolotina

sofyabolotina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:41
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2012

Hello!

I have a pdf file i converted into Word (I have Window 7 if it can be relevant)
Scrolling the word file i understood that there are some text parts missing. I checked those parts and saw that their font has a strange title (numbers and letters), I can't even find in google for downloading...
I made several attempts to decode the text but nothing happened.

The strange true type fonts are TTE192A3B0t00 and TTE192E008t00. in the pdf properties they are cold "subset font incorporated"

Now I can:
1. Copy the missing text manually in the word file before translating it
2. Add the translation of the missing text afterwards into the completed translation but this way i won't be able to include this part of text in my TM and won't be able to use this text for concordance search while translating...

It' a file i need to translate for my own purposes so I don't have a client to ask for a font file.

So I would be really grateful if someone gave me some possible solutions to decode this text if there are any...

Thank you in advance!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Change the font Feb 3, 2012

These conversion programmes are notorious for creating dozens of styles that reproduce every tiny detail of the PDF original. I imagine this is your problem here, and if so, the solution is simple enough.

I think the easiest thing would be for you to simply place your cursor within that section of text, then look at the 'style' which is diisplayed (top left, in formatting toolbar), then do a 'search & replace all' for (any character' + that style, replacing it with another style like 'normal' for example.

Do the same for the other font, and there you go!

Otherwise, you could simply do the same thing, but searching on the 'font' attribute; however, that might be more tricky, especially if the font wasn't applied consistentmy.

If you only need the text content for translation, and do not need to attempt to recreat the original document formatting at the end, than an even simpler way would of course be to 'select all' the text, then use the 'remove all formatting' command (under 'styles') to simply stipr it all out and make all your text 'normal'; you could of course also select the 'no formatting' option when you convert your PDF — it might be quickest to start all over again!

Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing happens... Feb 3, 2012

Thank you...

unfortunately i have already tried this solution and nothing happened. Of course, it was the first thing i did)

The point is that word after all the ways of converting and decoding (formatting removal and so on) shows either nothing or some symbols like %, $ and that's all (for the part of text in that unidentified font.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Right, that's a bit different then! Feb 3, 2012

OK, those important extra explanations make it easier to follow what is going on here!

I have had a similar problem before, albeit with a native Word doc, where some action of mine caused a font change that left me with gobbledy-gook, and nothing I could do would bring it back — it just seemed to be irredeemably corrupted! icon_cry.gif

All I could do was go back to a virgin version of the document and manually copy all the sections back across — though even then, the document was very unstable, and I had to do this several times. It seemed to stem from the fact that there was a font change just for one character within a segment, and from that point on, everything got corrupted!

However, like I said, what about going back and recopying these sections from the original PDF? Is this an image PDF, hence, requiring OCR? Or one originated from Word etc., from which you can recover the text directly just by copy and paste?

If you try reconverting the PDF with 'no formatting', what happens then?

Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you anyway Feb 3, 2012

without a specific decoder or the original font file i can't do anything to read the text in my word doc.

it means that i have to copy all missing extracts manually - it's not a "dead" pdf, but i repeat - there is no way to decode it so i can't use copy/paste and will have to type it into word document from the orifinal pdf.

Ok, it doesn't matter) i only wanted to understand how other Word users deal with this problem, but evidently it is too technical to solve(

thank you anyway!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft word:Some fonts are missing for reading a file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search