Netherlands
Local time: 06:54
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 24, 2012

Dear all,

Dear all,

I have a long list of Word files in which parts have to stay in de source language.
Let's say that each file consists of a table repeated twice. The first occurence has to be translated and the second occurence has to stay in the original language so that the client finally get a bilingual version of his table.

To this purpose, I was thinking of applying the "do not translate" style on the second table, in order to ignore it.

This style was not available on my version of Word so I created it.

But then it seems that the style only exists in the document I used to create it.
When I open another file, it does not show in the style list.

After some research, I managed to transfer this style from my document to the 'normaldotm' file, where, to my knowledge, standard features of Word are saved.

As a result I know have access to this style in new Word documents by
1 - opening the style management window where the list of availabe styles show ('do not translate' does not show),
2 - clicking on the icon for Style management,
3 - click on the Import/Export style button of the Style management window
4 - Copy the style from Normal.dotm to my document by clicking on the
Copy button

You may understand that this is a very lengthy procedure to go through for every and each of the 800 or so files that I am expected to process
while I would expect to find this style available as a permanen icon among the available styles.

Could someone please tell me what I overlook to achieve this goal?
That is: to have a self created style appear as an icon together with the usual Wordstyles?

Thank you very much for any suggestions

Pascale

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word version? Feb 24, 2012

You don't mention which word version you use, this is the explanation for Word 2010

Open a blank document (to make sure you are using the normal.dot template), type some text in the document and format it as you want your "Don't translate" style to appear, once formatted (or not you can leave as is and simply have it look like the rest of the text) select the text and right click on it.

From the pop up list select "Styles" and then from the second list select "Save Selection as a New Quick Style", in the pop up window give the style a name and then click on "Modify" (not on OK), that will open another pop up window, on the bottom of the window you will see an option that says "New documents based on this template", make sure you select that option, click on OK.

The style will now appear in your quick style list (however depending how many styles you have in the list it might not be visible), you can change the order however this is a more complicated process:

Display the Styles pane by clicking on the little arrow under the styles (or pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S).

At the bottom of the Styles pane, click the "Manage Styles" button (you have to hover above to see the name).

In the Manage Styles window, click the Recommend tab.

Find the style you want to change. If necessary, use the 'Sort order' box to display the list alphabetically.

Click the name of the style.

Click the "Assign value" button and give it a number, this will determine the display position in the Quick Styles gallery.

Click the "Show" button, this ensures the style is shown when viewing recommended styles.

You can also do it by clicking in the "Sort order" box (top of window) and choosing "As recommended". That will change the order in the little window below and you can now see the order in which styles will be displayed in the Quick Styles gallery. To move your style up or down in the list, use the "Move up", "Move down", "Make Last" or "Assign Value" buttons.

Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Feb 24, 2012

Alex,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain me in details how to do it.

I managed to follow your instructions, and I am pleased to say that it worked icon_smile.gif

But, my problem actually is that when I open a file provided by the client on which I intend to apply this style, it does not show...icon_frown.gif

The workaround I found is to click on "Modify style"
on the icon "manage style"
on the button "import/export"
to chose the style in the list provided for Normal.dot (list on the right) and to copy it into the left column (list on the left)

What really bugs me is that a style of my own creation does not seem to be readily available as the standard Word styles whatever the document I open. The logic behind it is a mistery to me.
grrrr ....icon_frown.gif

Thank you again Alex, your explanation allowed me to learn a few extra tricks.

Have a nive weekend

Pascale

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Styles... Feb 24, 2012

You need to imagine that each document comes with its own styles; how can a document coming from your customer possibly contain a style that you have created yourself locally?

If it is always the same customer, you might consider asking them to add your style into their normal.dot!

However, in earlier versions of Word at least, there was a very simple way to include your local styles in the list; normally, I think by default, the list of styles only contains 'styles used in this document' (or something like that); however, there is (was!) a box you could check to 'include all styles', which means that your local normal.dot styles would also appear in the list so you can access them easily. I think this is really the function you need here...

I have over-simplified the above slightly, as only from memory, but I feel other contributors will be able to explain it more accurately for you, and in particular, for your more recent version of Word.

OK, just checked: in Word 2003, when you go to 'Format' > 'Styles et mise en page' you get a right-hand side panel with document styles listed; at the bottom of that panel is a drop-down box 'Afficher :' where you can choose from various options as to what styles are included in the list; however, be warned that if you select 'tous les styles', the list will get very long, as Alex warned, so you might have trouble finding the styles you want.

[Modifié le 2012-02-24 17:11 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It make sense Feb 24, 2012

Thank you for your intervention Tony,

I must admit that I am very probably looking for some impossible solution....

What you say make sense. The last time I did deal with special styles, they were actually provided by the client.

Have a nice weekend, both of you

Pascale

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Templates and Styles are closely linked Feb 24, 2012

Without getting too technical the problem here is that templates and styles are tied together, everyone has a template called normal.dot or normal.dotm and most people use that by default.

Probably what is happening here is your client has used some other template name, you can check that by opening a document they sent you and then click on the "File" tab, from the list click on "Info" and then on the right side of the screen click on "Show All Properties", you will now be able to see the name of the template they used to create their document.

If you are lucky and your client has created all the documents with the same template then all you need to do is create a template with that name and create the style inside the template, then whenever you open one of the documents created with their template the style will be available.

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
normaldot versus normaldotm Feb 24, 2012

The files provided by the client are ".doc" ones
whereas I use Word 2010.

The client is just a usual company and I bet they juste used the normal template.

I noticed that the file normal.dot was called 'normaldotm' in Word 2010.

Never seen this earlier. I am not sure I can rename my template 'normaldot'. This is a pretty important template and I am weary of messing it up. I did it once a while ago and never, ever again... icon_smile.gif

I'lll have a closer look at it in the course of the weekend or later on. As a found an workaround, there is no rush anymore.

Thank you both again !

Pascale

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Created style now vanishing every now and then Feb 27, 2012

Hello again,

I expected to be done with this issue, thanks to your good advice, bu I know encounter another problem.

As I have to apply my self created style (that I saved in the 'normal.dotm' template as advised)
to some 200 files, I do open them in batch of 10.

Every now and then, for no obvious reason, after having opened some new Word files into which I want to import my style, I get the message that "the current file can not be opened" followed by 'normal.dotm'. I still manage to import the style in the documents for which this message does not appear, but after that, when all the documents are closed and that I want to open a new set, I cannot find my style anymore. It is juste gone.

Could it be that some automatic update erases it?

Any suggestion is welcome...

Pascale

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style in Word - created style not readily available

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search