Whats this character (¬) and how can I remove it?
Thread poster: Olly Pekelharing

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Feb 29, 2012

A Word document contains "¬" characters as some kind of word-break, e.g "De uitvoering van de werkzaamheden wordt onderzocht op overeen¬stemming met de procedures en voorschrif¬ten." When I try to find and replace these characters I find I can copy the character into the find and replace box, but subsequently no instances of it are found. Any clues?

Regards,

Olly

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Optional hyphen Feb 29, 2012

It is called "optional hyphen" can be found as such under "More-Special" in the Find&Replace dialog box.

Antonin

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes indeed Feb 29, 2012

But it shouldn't normally be visible; do you perhaps have the 'show hidden characters' option turned on under 'Tools'?

Normally, there should be no harm in leaving them in your document, they shouldn't normally be visible. The only exception, perhaps, is if someone has used the wrong language auto hyphenation feature, in which case the hyphenation might of course not be correct for your language.

Maybe you have 'auto hyphenation' turned on by mistake?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
OCR Feb 29, 2012

You often get this character in an OCR document. Follow Antonin's suggestion to remove it, especially if you're going to process the file with a CAT tool.

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
optional hyphen Feb 29, 2012

Many thanks, that was the one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whats this character (¬) and how can I remove it?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search