Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 19, 2012

G'day everyone

In Windows 7, MS Word 2003's fonts are anti-aliased, and I hate it. It looks hazy, and out of focus. Does anyone know how I can get crisp looking letters in MS Word (like I had in MS Word 2003 under Windows XP)?

Here is an example:

The first line is anti-aliased and the second isn't. I want it to look like the second line (the first line gives me a headache and tired eyes).

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2012-03-19 16:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:35
German to English
+ ...
Have you already tried this? Mar 19, 2012

"In Control Panel, open System, and click the Advanced system settings link on the left side (or run SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe). In the Performance section, click Settings. The Visual Effects tab, shown in Figure below, contains 20 settings, all explained later.

Smooth edges of screen fonts
Using a process called anti-aliasing, Windows fills in the jagged edges of larger text on the screen with gray pixels, making the edges appear smooth. Turn off this option to slightly improve the speed at which larger fonts are drawn on the screen, although the speed difference shouldn't be noticeable on any modern PC.
If you're using a flat-panel display (laptop or otherwise), you may find text slightly more difficult to read if font smoothing is turned on. But before you simply turn it off, try the alternate anti-aliasing method. Open the Display page in Control Panel and click the Adjust ClearType text link on the left to open the ClearType Text Tuner. Place a checkmark next to Turn on ClearType, and then click Next to find the settings that make text most readable on your display."
http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/tame-mindless-animation-and-display-effects.html

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I've done that... Mar 19, 2012

Alison MacG wrote:
In Control Panel, open System, and click the Advanced system settings link on the left side (or run SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe). In the Performance section, click Settings. The Visual Effects tab...

Yes, "smooth edges" is disabled. This is why the text in MS Word struck me as odd. In all my windows, crisp text is used, except in MS Word's edit pane (in MS Word's menus etc, the text is crisp, but in the edit pane where I type, it is hazy).

Open the Display page in Control Panel and click the Adjust ClearType text link on the left to open the ClearType Text Tuner.

If I enable "ClearType" there, all letters in all programs become hazy. If I disable it, all letters become crisp again, except for the text in the documents in MS Word.

There must be some setting in MS Word itself that deals with this...

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was fixed by itself... Mar 19, 2012

Actually, it just got fixed almost by itself. What I did was to enable ClearText and Smooth Scrolling, and then I disabled both again, and then suddenly the haziness was gone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to turn off anti-aliasing in MS Word

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search