Importing Web table data into Excel
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Jun 20, 2004

For the first time today I tried to import one of the Kudoz glossaries into Excel.

-I right click the mouse,
-select Import into Excel.
-Excel appears, seems to create something called External.data (more or less, seems to build a query,
-goes to the Proz page,
-shows the tags where to click in order to select which table I wish to import into Excel,
-I click on the glossary table
-it seems to be doing something,
-it inserts the words "Pair" and "Field" (I think) in my Excel worksheet and then
-it returns a message saying that there was nothing to import and
-it advises to change the query, which I tried to do but there is nothing to change,
so I repeat the procedure,
-I try again and got the same result.

I will appreciate any ideas regarding this problem, I would really like to import one of the glossaries.

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
select - copy Jun 20, 2004

Luisabel wrote:
I will appreciate any ideas regarding this problem, I would really like to import one of the glossaries.

Hi Luisabel,

Just select the table (start at the beginning of the first cell and drag the mouse till the end of the last element). Now that it's highlighted, press Ctrl+C.
Open a new spreadsheet in Excel place the cursor in the first cell and paste it (Ctrl+V).
You should have all the table there and you can edit/delete/move columns as you please.

HTH,
Grace.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Just copy and paste Jun 20, 2004

I use MS Office 2000, so I can't help you with the Import function, which is only available in later releases, but I would simply select the table, copy it and paste it. (Open the Excel worksheet before copying.)

The table will be pasted as HTML, that is including formatting and hyperlinks. To get rid of that, select the cells in Excel again and use Edit - Paste special - Values. You can also delete unwanted columns. I have just tried that with a small glossary.

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Importing Web table data into Excel Jun 20, 2004

Thank you for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that I have Windows XP.

The problem with "copy and paste" is two-fold:
1) I will have to copy and paste every single page of the table, from A through Z.
2) Once copied and pasted, my table will be static.

I still do not know whether using Importing into Excel will load the complete glossary in one pass or if I would have to load page by page. I suppose it will load in one pass but I need to find more information to that regard.

On the other hand, when importing a Web based table, you can refresh the table whenever you choose making it a dynamic table, always updated.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Import Jun 21, 2004

I don't think it's possible to import the glossary in one pass. How would Excel know that the glossary is divided into several tables and how to find them?

There are other tools for working with KudoZ glossaries, see KudoZ.net and Fusion here on Proz.com.

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Not possible in one pass Jun 21, 2004

Hi Hynek
Thank you for following up on this matter.
As you mentioned, there is no way of doing in one pass. I knew that much from the Excel point but thought maybe Proz had this prepared somehow as to be able to do it. Regardless, I imported the glossary using the import function in Excel. The advantage being that you do not have to select text, copy and paste, it does it itself, and that the table will be always updated as Excel saves the specs for the query and refreshes the data. Had to do it for each letter though.
Thank you again for your interest.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Congratulations :) Jun 21, 2004

I (and Graciela) only suggested copying and pasting as an alternative solution. So, congratulations on solving the problem!

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciated your response Jun 21, 2004

I appreciated your response, and Graciela's for that matter. While there was no obligation whatsoever, you two graciously took the time to write your suggestions.
Since you mentioned you do not have Windows XP, I wanted you to know what this import to Excel function is capable of doing.
Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Web table data into Excel

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search