Is it possible to have two different versions of Word in the same computer?
Thread poster: Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
Local time: 04:13
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 3, 2012

For practical reasons I want to keep the Word 2002 version of when I install a new Word version. Is it possible? How to avoid that the installation manager installs it on top of the previous version?

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes Apr 3, 2012

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun wrote:

For practical reasons I want to keep the Word 2002 version of when I install a new Word version. Is it possible? How to avoid that the installation manager installs it on top of the previous version?

TIA

I have myself two versions on the same computer. You only need to put them in different folders. Create a folder and put the new version there. If during the installation you are asked whether the old version that has been found should be replaced (or something like this), clearly answer no.

Good luck!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes! Apr 3, 2012

As Salvador says, I can confirm that I have run Word 2010 and Word XP on the same computer (under Windows 7) and it was OK.

However, do be warned: this is not the case for certain other programmes!

I was furious when a recent download of Acrobat Reader disabled and over-wrote an earlier version of the full Acrobat that I had installed some years earlier!

Norway
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
closing the topic Apr 3, 2012

Thanks Christel and Tony!

It is clear now.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but... Apr 3, 2012

What operating system is this?

Norway
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Apr 4, 2012

Hi Samuel,

It is Windows 7

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
VM solution Apr 4, 2012

You can run an earlier OS on Windows 7 by installing a VM (Virtual Machine) - I do it with XP so that I can continue using my dictionaries and other programs no longer available in W7 .

However, I find it slower than W7 so in the end I don't use it as much as I thought I would initially.

pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
You Need to Edit the Registry Apr 4, 2012

TIA

See the discussion and links at http://christinekent.blogspot.com/2011/04/installing-multiple-versions-of-word-on.html

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
No problem… Apr 4, 2012

…under Linux/Crossover Linux. Just install them into different bottles. Moreover, you can even have several independent instances of the same version of Microsoft Office.

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:13
English to Portuguese
Sure, Easily Apr 4, 2012

No problem.

I have Office 2003 and Office 2007 in the same machine, and there is no conflict.

All you have to do is to install it normally from the CD.

First you install the older version (2002 in you case). When it is installed, you put the CD to install the newer version.

Office will detect the older version and will ask if you want to write it over. Click "No".
It will present you with a list of the applications you will want to preserve in your PC. Mark only those you want to remove (I marked the Word I wanted to remain, and had the opposite result).
The Office will proceed with the installation as usual.

Remember, the older version first. If you already have the newer version installed, you will have to uninstall it, then install the older version and after that, the newer one.

Visit this microsoft site for further information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/pt-br

Regards,

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to have two different versions of Word in the same computer?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search