Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 13, 2012

G'day everyone

I need a text editor that will insert line breaks at a certain line width, but which also shows me the number of lines in a file. Notepad does the former but not the latter. Does anyone know of such a tool?

I have a piece of text and I need to wrap the lines so that the text is roughly 1600 lines long, so that when I copy/paste it into Word, the text is hard wrapped in the same place as in the text editor. I need this because I need to align two text files in a table, and the first file is hard wrapped, and the second file is not, and I want to retain the hard line breaks.

Using Windows 7.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not sure I've got it all right, but... Apr 13, 2012

In MS Word, set the line width as needed using the sliders at the top.
Save your file as text. In the File Conversion dialog select 'Insert line breaks' and choose the type you need. You'll get a text file with lines of the selected width.

I hope that helps a little.

Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Couple of tips Apr 13, 2012

Hi,

you could try Notepad++ (free) or UltraEdit (pay). Or if you have any HTML editor that would also do. There are also Windows versions of famous Linux/Unix text editors like VIM or EMACS out there. You could also try TextPad.

I'd say BBEdit if you had a Mac;)

Good luck!

xxxchristela
Adam is right Apr 13, 2012

Maybe use font Courier before saving as a text file in order to have a fixed number of characters per line (Courier has the same width for l and for m).
After saving as a text file, you can read it again in Word, and then use the Statistics function or even add a line number before each line.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Adam Apr 13, 2012

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
In MS Word, set the line width as needed using the sliders at the top. Save your file as text. In the File Conversion dialog select 'Insert line breaks' and choose the type you need. You'll get a text file with lines of the selected width.

That is perfect!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text editor that shows number of lines, that does hard wrap

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search