Problem with opening downloaded files in Word
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:16
Czech to German
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

Hi all,

I just got a mail with an attached file in Word but when I try to open it (either by clicking directly or after having downloaded it) it only shows a white page, saying that there is "about 1 character in the document". The icon after downloading does not look like the normal Word-doc but is a Microsoft-icon with a flag. I never had that before so I'd be really grateful for any hints!

Charlotte

PS My config is Windows 98 and Word 2002

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Is this e-mail coming from a trusted source? Jun 23, 2004

I mean someone you know and from whom you expected a Word file?
If yes, the best way would be to contact this person and ask to resend the file in .doc format, since from your description it looks as they send you something different.

HTh
Magda

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was .doc... Jun 23, 2004

Hi Magda,

yes, it was from an agency I'm working with since quite a long time and they had told me before that they will send this text. In the mail it was called xxx.doc as attachment, that's why I expected it to open as a Word-document.
Meanwhile I asked them to resend it as rtf and this time there were no problems at all:) But I'm curious to know why it does not work as .doc...

Charlotte

PS: I would have tried with Notepad but as the text was in Czech my English Notepad would have rendered it as "letter-salad", as you would say in German;)

[Edited at 2004-06-24 11:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with opening downloaded files in Word

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search