Thread poster: Martine Etienne

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:17
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 2, 2004

I work in Word 2000 with trados 6.5 and Windows NT. I cannot open the word file on which I work. I get always the same message "
Winword has generated errors and the program will have to be restarted. I have restarted the program but cannot access the file. It is a great file and it is making me crazy.
Thanks for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Restore text option Jul 2, 2004

Hi Martine,
Try opening the file using the "restore text" option in the file type selection. If the Word file is corrupted (that's what it sounds like...), this will at least allow you to retrieve the text.

Two points to note:
- Save the restored file under a different name.
- Don't forget to change the selection back afterwards. (Otherwise Word will keep opening files this way...)

Best regards, Ralf

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
French to English
+ ...
Microsoft updates Jul 2, 2004

This may or may not have any relevance to your problem, but don't forget to visit the Microsoft Office updates site, where you can download appropriate patches/files that are claimed to make Word and other Office applications more stable and secure.

http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx?CTT=6&Origin=EC790020111033

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Word 2000 and window NT - Impossible to open a file Jul 2, 2004

If all else fails, try opening the Word file in OpenOffice.org.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 and window NT - Impossible to open a file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search