Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2012

I have just sent some translated files (EN>PT) to a client in another country, and they say that the Portuguese accents have come out as weird symbols - they sent me an excerpt of the files as received and the weird symbols are Chinese characters. Why is this happening? The files are OK to me as I am here in Brazil but the other end these weird characters come out. They have asked me to convert the files to PDF and I got the trial version of a converter but that won't work either. They also said... See more
I have just sent some translated files (EN>PT) to a client in another country, and they say that the Portuguese accents have come out as weird symbols - they sent me an excerpt of the files as received and the weird symbols are Chinese characters. Why is this happening? The files are OK to me as I am here in Brazil but the other end these weird characters come out. They have asked me to convert the files to PDF and I got the trial version of a converter but that won't work either. They also said an error message about damaged files has been shown on their screen. Why?Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Font Jun 8, 2012

It is the type of font, try changing it

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 08:51
English to German
The font should be no problem Jun 8, 2012

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

It is the type of font, try changing it

Office 2003 and later is fully unicode-enabled. This means that the receiver should see the correct letters or no letters (= empty square or '?'), but not Chinese letters.

But of course you never know ...

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 08:51
English to German
More info needed Jun 8, 2012

Excel versions? Windows languages? (Both sides)
File type?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serious problems with Excel - why?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »