Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
Local time: 09:09
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 6, 2012

Hi there!

I've got a problem with visible line breaks when I translate Excel-files using TagEditor (1 pack._x000D_). How do I remove or hide the line breaks?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Ann Louise

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Try this on a copy to see if it works Jul 6, 2012

Find and Replace ^l with Alt+010 (with the cursor in the "replace" field, hold down the 'Alt' button and type the numbers '010'. The field will remain blank, it looks like nothing happened, but in fact, it's there – just blank)

Helen Portefaix
Helen Portefaix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
Member (2012)
English to French
A quick way to remove line breaks from Excel data Jul 6, 2012

Hello,

I don't know about TagEditor, but I can tell you how to remove the line breaks from your Excel file before you start the translation.

1 - Select the cell(s) that contain line breaks you wish to remove

2 - Press CTRL + H on your keyboard. This opens up the "Find and Replace" dialog box.

3 - In the field "Find what" where you would normally type the word/text you want to replace, you need to enter the following : ALT + 010 ... See more
Hello,

I don't know about TagEditor, but I can tell you how to remove the line breaks from your Excel file before you start the translation.

1 - Select the cell(s) that contain line breaks you wish to remove

2 - Press CTRL + H on your keyboard. This opens up the "Find and Replace" dialog box.

3 - In the field "Find what" where you would normally type the word/text you want to replace, you need to enter the following : ALT + 010
>>> Keep the ALT key pressed, while typing 010 using the number keypad of your keyboard (problem if you're working on a laptop, keyboard doesn't include number pad). You should then see a dot appear briefly then disappear in the field "Find what".

4 - In the field "Replace with", just enter a space (a normal blank space using your keyboard space bar)

5 - Hit "Replace All", and all your line breaks should be gone.

Note: Quite often, there's an extra space at the end of a line just before the line break (even if there shouldn't be any). If you use the "Find and Replace" method described just above, the extra spaces cause you to end up with double spaces between words where there use to be a line break. There's a very easy way to get rid of them, using the Excel formula =TRIM(CellReference). This is a fantastic formula that gets rid of any unnecessary spaces in a text (great for cleaning up your translation before sending it back).
So let's say you've got text in cell E4 on your Excel file, and the spacing between words look suspicious to you >>> Instead of manually checking the "suspiciously spaced words" manually, just choose a blank cell anywhere on your spreadsheet, and enter =TRIM(E4), and any extra spaces there may have been will be automatically removed (taking standard punctuation rules into account). Then to convert the result of the formula into plain text, copy the cell, then right-click & choose Paste Special.... In the dialog box that appears, selct Values then click OK.
Collapse

Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry ... Jul 27, 2012

for my late reply (holiday!).

Thank you so much for your help! It worked and I could use the matches in the TM - nice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove line breaks from Excel

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »