How to wordcount a lot of DOC files all together?
Thread poster: Flavio Ferri-Benedetti

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 22:38
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jul 15, 2004

Dear friends,

Is there a way to count words in a group of DOC (Word 2000) files without having to count each and everyone of them and then adding manually with the usual calc.exe?

Any hint?

Thank youicon_smile.gif Best wishes,
Flavio


 

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try Translator's Abacus Jul 15, 2004

Hi Flavio:

Have you tried Translator's Abacus? It's a free utility that you can download at http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html

I have tried it and the results are quite good with .doc documents.

HIH.
Ricardo

[Edited at 2004-07-15 15:04]

[Edited at 2004-07-15 15:04]


 

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 22:38
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works perfectly! Jul 15, 2004

Muchísimas gracias Ricardo! Funciona maravillosamenteicon_smile.gif

Thanks a loticon_wink.gif

Flavio


 

Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to German
another option - use your CAT tool Jul 15, 2004

Hi there,

if you have a CAT tool, such as Trados Workbench, you could run the Analyze command on all the relevant files at once. This way gives you not only the total word count but also, the repetitions, 100% matches and fuzzy matches.

I don't know how other CAT tools work but they probably have a similar feature.

HTH,
Rebekka


 

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:38
German to English
+ ...
And yet another... Jul 15, 2004

Practicount

www.practiline.com


 

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Careful with Trados Jul 15, 2004

sparkie wrote:

Hi there,

if you have a CAT tool, such as Trados Workbench, you could run the Analyze command on all the relevant files at once. This way gives you not only the total word count but also, the repetitions, 100% matches and fuzzy matches.

I don't know how other CAT tools work but they probably have a similar feature.

HTH,
Rebekka


Trados does not count numbers, so if your file has a lot a numbers, like in a table. Trados will ignore those.


 

Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 16:38
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks. Jul 15, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi Flavio:

Have you tried Translator's Abacus? It's a free utility that you can download at http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html

I have tried it and the results are quite good with .doc documents.

HIH.
Ricardo

[Edited at 2004-07-15 15:04]

[Edited at 2004-07-15 15:04]


Thanks for the suggestion, Ricardo.


 

Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
numbers Jul 17, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:
Trados does not count numbers, so if your file has a lot a numbers, like in a table. Trados will ignore those.


Do you mean you charge for each number as if it were a word? Is that standard? I never thought of this, my translations generally have some numbers, but they are generally embeded in TM units with words, as in "146 - 174 MHz", and I generally don't have to touch them.


 

Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to German
I agree with you there, Sol :-) Jul 17, 2004

Sol wrote:

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:
Trados does not count numbers, so if your file has a lot a numbers, like in a table. Trados will ignore those.


Do you mean you charge for each number as if it were a word? Is that standard? I never thought of this, my translations generally have some numbers, but they are generally embeded in TM units with words, as in "146 - 174 MHz", and I generally don't have to touch them.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to wordcount a lot of DOC files all together?

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search