Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
German to English
Jul 22, 2004

I recently had a job with a lot of tiny little graphics as well as larger illustrations (*dozens* of graphics, not just a few). The job was to be done in Trados, but that's not really the point.

The files printed OK: every graphic (LED indicators or control panel messages next to captions) was in the proper position. Since I was to do the job in Trados, I ran the "ImagesIn/Out" macro after converting all graphics to inline images.

Strangely enough, not all the images were removed, but scattered through their respective files. Since I always make backups of original files, I wasn't in trouble.

I contacted the client (an agency) and was assured that they'd take care of the graphics, so I worked on one of backup sets. Trados removed *all* the graphics. Still no problem for me, since the agency said they'd do the heavy lifting in this regard.

After I sent the job, I decided to take a closer look at the original files, since I'd rather know what's going on, and also since I pride myself in having more than minimal competence in the tools of the trade. (when I printed, I only looked at the first pages, only one of which had a picture).

In many cases, the graphics boxes were positioned over the text they referred to, which I found strange.

My question is this: is there a way to anchor floating graphics so that they don't cover the text? The macro to convert floating graphics to inline didn't work very well, as I mentioned above.

The agency indicated that there will be a lot more files like this, and I'd like to be better prepared than I was last time.

Thanks, Kevin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search