Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 28, 2004

The following scenario: in the document are codes, which point to pictures.
German text: "In der Abbildung (Abb. 55)sieht man..."
I translated all the "Abb." into "Fig.", but now, after cleaning up, the pointers do not find the objects and display an error message.
When I switch to the view with the codes showing the codes are the same as in the original.
Is there a way out of this mess? What did I do wrong?

Still two days till delivery!

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are you using Trados? Jul 28, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The following scenario: in the document are codes, which point to pictures.
German text: "In der Abbildung (Abb. 55)sieht man..."
I translated all the "Abb." into "Fig.", but now, after cleaning up, the pointers do not find the objects and display an error message.
When I switch to the view with the codes showing the codes are the same as in the original.
Is there a way out of this mess? What did I do wrong?

Still two days till delivery!

If you are, you need to run the "Bookmark" macro BEFORE translating and after cleanup. That will protect those markers.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hello, Heinrich, Jul 28, 2004

Another thing that comes to mind (beside what the previous person suggested) was that they may have embedded the source codes in the master file. Is this translation part of a larger whole?

I do not know too much about the technicalities, but it happened to me once before. The client then informed me of the above and said that when they pulled the series of documents together in one master document the problem would be solved. They did so and the end result was what it should be.
... See more
Another thing that comes to mind (beside what the previous person suggested) was that they may have embedded the source codes in the master file. Is this translation part of a larger whole?

I do not know too much about the technicalities, but it happened to me once before. The client then informed me of the above and said that when they pulled the series of documents together in one master document the problem would be solved. They did so and the end result was what it should be. Thus they wanted me to send the files without the codes/bookmarks translated; just to provide a separate list of what the translation should have been.

Don't know if it is something similar, but perhaps the client or someone knowing more about this can shed some light on it.

Two days, yikes!

Good luck! I hope that you make the deadline.

Lucinda
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes they are internal links, pointing to objects in the same document Jul 29, 2004

I copy the original objects back manually. But then in the English text I have all those "Abb. X" left after. Manually I can introduce the String "Fig" and then eliminate the left over characters form "AFigbb. X", but is there a simpler method?
I guess Search and Replace will not work, At least I tried once.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internal links destroyed, what do I do?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »