Client cannot print invoices created in Word 2010
Thread poster: Andrew Stucken

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
German to English
Nov 2, 2012

I am having a problem with a regular client who cannot print invoices created in Word 2010, using a Word 2010 invoice template. They are getting annoyed about it and blaming me but as far as I can see the problem is their end. They print out fine here. I believe the client uses an earlier version of Word.

Coud it be that I need t enable printing at my end - in other words, if they don't have Word 2010, are they unable to enbale printing themselves?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-11-02 12:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:23
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Templates for use in earlier versions of WORD Nov 2, 2012

Have you tried saving the template as a WORD 97-2003 template instead of as a WORD 2010 template?

There are significant differences between WORD 2007 / 2010 and the earlier versions of WORD, which might well prevent templates created for the former being used in the latter.

To save as WORD 97-2003 template, click Save As, then select the option from the list, which appears when you click on 'Word Document' in the line 'Save as type:' in the Save As window.

Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
Internet origin Nov 2, 2012

Hi,

If you send the invoice by email and the client opens it in Word, printing and editing are automatically blocked by Word 2010 because the origin of the file is Internet.

Save the file as PDF and send a PDF instead. Acrobat Reader will not block printing.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
PDF Nov 2, 2012

As a matter of principle, and for greater security, I always convert all such documents to PDF before sending; I started doing this after I realized that my invoices were not printing out exatly the same at the customer's end! But it does make for better security too, since if for any reason they wanted to modify them, they'd have to work harder at it!

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Print as PDF Nov 2, 2012

Hi

Thanks for the two replies.

I will definitely try saving in Word 97-2003 format. I did try sending the invoices as PDF but the client claimed still not to be able to print. That really mystified me.

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Invoice? Of course as PDF. Nov 2, 2012

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Save the file as PDF and send a PDF instead. Acrobat Reader will not block printing.

And even more important: A PDF file with embedded fonts will yield exactly the same printout/layout on any computer, even on a Mac or a Linux box. And it is protected against inadvertent changes.

There are clients whose bookkeeping person is equipped with a 15-year-old software that can't print an € sign let alone a pretty letterhead. ("Never touch a running system.")

I'd never send an invoice in doc(x) format.

More details Nov 2, 2012

Did the client provide more details about the problem: are they able to open the template, fill in the fields, any error messages / warnings when they try to print the file etc.

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Worst case scenario Nov 2, 2012

You could simply mail the invoice to your client.

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Plain text works... Nov 2, 2012

Strange that plain text works, but not PDF.

Indeed, faxing and mailing hard copy also work...mind you I think the client is playing silly games, just to be awkward.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How does MS Word know? Nov 2, 2012

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
If you send the invoice by email and the client opens it in Word, printing and editing are automatically blocked by Word 2010 because the origin of the file is Internet.

How does MS Word know what the origin of the file is?

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
Windows knows Nov 2, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

How does MS Word know what the origin of the file is?

Windows adds a mark to the file when you save it. When you open it, Word 2010 displays a warning banner at the top stating that the file is blocked because it was downloaded from the internet. The banner has a button for enabling editing.

You may enable editing but if you want to print, it is blocked again. You need to explicitly allow printing.

Here on Windows 7 all files coming from the Internet are automatically blocked by MS Office 2010 and displayed in read-only mode. It does not matter if I download with my browser or if I receive them by email on Outlook.

That's a nice security feature.

Regards,
Rodolfo

SameraD
English to Dutch
PDF>JPEG Nov 3, 2012

You may want to convert the PDF file to JPEG format (file>export as).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client cannot print invoices created in Word 2010

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search