translation of pdf-file
Thread poster: baerbel

baerbel
Local time: 17:11
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2004

Can anybody tell me how to translate a pdf-file opened in Adobe Acrobat 5 (text and borders) or how to convert it to Word or another accesible application?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:11
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moving the topic Aug 23, 2004

to Office Applications forum

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the search function Aug 23, 2004

Hi Barbara,
I guess this is amongst the most frequently discussed technical topics here - have you tried using the Search function (use "PDF" or "PDF conversion")?

Best, Ralf

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Perfect way Aug 23, 2004

Hello,

the perfect way is to get the source file from your client.

With kind regards

Hans

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
English to Tamil
+ ...
PDF is not compatible to translation Aug 24, 2004

Clients need to be educated. A PDF file is meant to prvent alterations by third parties and the translation process is nothing but that. Thus at the outset the conflict of interest comes to the fore.

Having said that let us see what we translators can do. Step one will be to ask the client to provide the source file. If he wants to know why, repeat the contents of the above para to him. If the PDF file has been generated in his office, which may be the case with direct clients, no problem. If the client is an agency, he can be asked to get the source file from the end client. So far so good.

There is another possiblity. The source file is not readily available. Here too not everything is lost. Had it been generated from a word file, the text select tool and the image select tool used judiciously will help in reconstructing the text.

Trouble comes when the PDF has been the result of scanning hard copy. In that case the text select tool is useless but the image select tool is. You may have to type the translation afresh and copy paste the images at the appropriate places.

Recently I ran into the next degree of problem. The PDF was protected even against copying images (not to say of the text). This too did not deter me. I took screenshot of the images, trimmed it and copied the trimmed screenshot to the word file I was typing.

I have not talked of finereader and other softwares, because I do not have them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
PDF... ugh. Aug 24, 2004

PDF is the bane of translators, but like DSC says, you can always try to get the source file. A client just did exactly that, sent me a .pdf and an MSWord source file which was not completely the same, but I printed out the .pdf and adjusted for the differences (the .pdf was the way the final text needed to be).

PDFs do not always print out completely or legibly, and some do not print at all, but that is at least an option sometimes. Then it is the same as working from hard copy.

But I still wish they would not send me .pdf files.

baerbel
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I scanned the file with textbridge Aug 24, 2004

Sorry, I don´t know how to answer otherwise, you all helped me a lot.
Finally I found the solution in converting each page of the file into a .tif-file (file was a mixture of text, tables, images), then I scanned the tif-file with textbridge, then I saved the scanned file as a .doc-file. It´s not perfect, but workable if you check once in a while with the original pdf-text.
Whatsoever it´s tricky and far too much work.
Again, thanx to all.
Barbara

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
re: translation of pdf-file Aug 24, 2004

Barbara Brinckmann wrote:

Can anybody tell me how to translate a pdf-file opened in Adobe Acrobat 5 (text and borders) or how to convert it to Word or another accesible application?

If using Acrobat 6 (six) Reader, you might convert it into a plain text format, which will require a bit of re-polishing. In case of using other freeware, text format output is nicer, but you'll never preserve other formating, in case of using freeware.
Those freewares are: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/, namely: Ghostscript and GSview (ghostview) at: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ - Those are a postscript interpreter + viever and converter to text and postscript. Those are the best softwares of the kind. After installing both application, additional install of a "virtual" postscript printer might be necessary: i.e. just inventing a printer in Windows, of PS kind, if you wish to go further than PDF-TXT conversion. But if you just want to convert PDF to TXT, this one isn't needed.

Another output is PDF to RTF,DOC, payable software. A good starting point is convertzone:http://www.convertzone.com/

Good luck, dragomir_k

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of pdf-file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search