Image editing in word documents
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
French to English
Jan 26, 2013

Hello everyone,
I have had questions on this before but cant find them listed so I hope I am in the correct forum.
I am using the app "Paint" to translate some words in an image. I have gotten as far as removing the image to a separate Word page to work with it. My goal is to change the words and reinsert the image into the document. I have created a text box on a separate document and tried copying and pasting it onto the box in the document. It does not paste. I have also tried deleting the box first but the whole document disappears. Ideas?
Thanks.
Jessie

Direct link Reply with quote

Fikret Yesilyurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:42
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
text copying... Jan 26, 2013

My suggestion is to open Paint individually (not opening through Ms Word). Then, just after you create a text box and insert any text into it, do not click anywhere else, just try to do:

1) CTRL+A
2) Open MS Word file
3) CTRL+V

I have just tried the same before writing this tip to see if I miss any step but it has successfully worked.

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 10:42
English to German
Text and graphic are different objects Jan 27, 2013

Fikret Yesilyurt wrote:

My suggestion is to open Paint individually (not opening through Ms Word). Then, just after you create a text box and insert any text into it, do not click anywhere else, just try to do:

1) CTRL+A
2) Open MS Word file
3) CTRL+V

??? This does not work with my Paint.
If I create a text box, insert text and hit Ctrl-A, the text is selected instead of the graphic. Actually the graphic is created later on, when I leave the text box by clicking outside of it. If I follow your advice, the clipboard contains the text but not the graphic.

Fikret Yesilyurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:42
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
image selection Jan 27, 2013

If you want to select the graphic instead of text, then first click on the top right icon ('Select' icon) in the left panel, then press CTRL+A, you'll select entire area, then copy and paste it.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
cant get it to work Jan 27, 2013

Hi Fikret,I followed your instructions but unfortunately what winds up in my text box after "C V"
are some instructions about typing into the box, not the text I have already typed.

AAAArg.

Jessie

Inserting and editing image Jan 28, 2013

In Word go to the Insert menu, select Picture then Clip Art.
With the picture selected, go to the Format menu and select Format Picture . There are several things that you can do with this picture.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
A couple of tips Jan 28, 2013

Hi! The easiest way to do it is to edit your image first in paint, photoshop, fireworks, what ever, and then copy-paste it into word.

Once you're in word, create a text box over the areas that you want the text to appear and type in the translation there directly.

If you have the translation already typed out in another document, you only need to select and copy the text, and then paste it into the text boxes.

I wouldn't suggest creating the text box in another document and then trying to copy it over because it's more complicated than it needs to be and there are sizing issues. It's better to just type out the text you need and copy-paste as needed or write directly over the image.

The most common commands are:
ctrl a - select all
ctrl z - undo
ctrl c - copy
ctrl p - paste

Aside from translation, I do a lot of work in graphic design, so if you need any extra help or have any trouble, please shoot me an email or phone call and I'd be happy to help however I can ^_^

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Problems doing it in Word Jan 28, 2013

In response to Triston's helpful comments, I'd just like to add that I have used this method on occasions, but it is not without its own problems. Maybe if I list the problems I've encountered, someone might even be able to tell me how to get round them.

1) Using Word text boxes to 'cover over' existing text is a limited solution — sometimes, the graphics do not readily allow an opaque box to be used, and matching the background colour is often a problem.

2) These 'loose' text boxes have a nasty habit of floating around with a mind of their own, so my customer doesn't see the same result as I do! Also, if editing other text on the page causes the background image to move, the text boxes don't always follow. The logical solution is of course to 'group' the text boxes with the main image, but depending on the main images properties, this may or may not be possible; and despite all my best efforts, I have come across certain images where I just cannot seem to change the properties to achieve the result I need.

My workaround is to copy the image out to an image editing program like Photoshop etc., erase the unwanted text labels to their own background colour, and save the image back out again so I can re-insert it with my chosen parameters into the translated document. This then allows me to use transparent text boxes in Word to put back in the various text labels — with a great deal more flexibility and room for manœuvre than would otherwise be possible.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hope this helps Jan 28, 2013

Tony M wrote:

In response to Triston's helpful comments, I'd just like to add that I have used this method on occasions, but it is not without its own problems. Maybe if I list the problems I've encountered, someone might even be able to tell me how to get round them.

1) Using Word text boxes to 'cover over' existing text is a limited solution — sometimes, the graphics do not readily allow an opaque box to be used, and matching the background colour is often a problem.

2) These 'loose' text boxes have a nasty habit of floating around with a mind of their own, so my customer doesn't see the same result as I do! Also, if editing other text on the page causes the background image to move, the text boxes don't always follow. The logical solution is of course to 'group' the text boxes with the main image, but depending on the main images properties, this may or may not be possible; and despite all my best efforts, I have come across certain images where I just cannot seem to change the properties to achieve the result I need.

My workaround is to copy the image out to an image editing program like Photoshop etc., erase the unwanted text labels to their own background colour, and save the image back out again so I can re-insert it with my chosen parameters into the translated document. This then allows me to use transparent text boxes in Word to put back in the various text labels — with a great deal more flexibility and room for manœuvre than would otherwise be possible.

To prevent the text box from moving, go to the "wrap text" option and select "in front of text", that will usually separate the box from any additional text that you add in. You can anchor them differently to the page, but I still have issues like those you pointed out.

I still run into issues where images and boxes move around, typically when I'm using one version of word or openoffice, and the client is using a different one. In that case, you can save it as a PDF and it will lock the images in place as you see them.

You're absolutely correct with the work around for background coloring. Photoshop has a few different options to create that effect. In paint (which I love and use daily, even with all the other shiny programs on my computer), just use the select tool to select a chunk of the background color you want, move it to where you need it and resize to fit.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for suggestions Jan 28, 2013

I wanted to thank everyone who has replied so much.
This particular image, which is one of several in the article, does not seem amenable to any of my attempts.
I can't even tell what type of image it is.
Jessie

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Send it on through! Jan 28, 2013

Hi Jessie!

By all means feel free to send me your image through (or the entire document with it in if necessary) and I'll see what I can do to help...

If you want to, send me an e-mail via ProZ.com and then I'll reply with my e-mail address.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hey, Jan 29, 2013

You caught my interest with this problem, let me know how it worked out and what was causing the trouble ^_^

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Are you sure Jan 29, 2013

… it's part of your job, Jessie? We are not getting paid for DTP work. What I do, and what I think is standard procedure, is deliver the translation below the image, like

[source term = target term]

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Image editing in word documents

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search