Thread poster: BabelOn-line

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2013

Hello All

When translating directly in Word (most of our material has very few fuzzies), first thing I need to do is to reformat the Word file I am working on: set new document margins, set all paragraph settings to "no space after end of parag", set font to Arial 11pt, set language to French, etc...

When working on docs of a few thousand words, that's not a big issue. However, I now have to work on a series of short Word files, so implementing all these settings by hand becomes fiddly and there is surely a way to do all this in one shot.

I use Word for Mac 2011.

Yes, this is a bit lazy, I hear some justifiable "RT(F)M", but after a short foray in the Word .dotx template world, i thought could either spend an hour or two on it – or ask people who know!

Thanks for your time.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:53
French to English
+ ...
Styles Mar 17, 2013

I wouldn't know about Word 2011, but I assume it must offer at least the same features as earlier versions!

I'd create a style containing all the parameters I need, make sure I save that into my normal.dot, and then simply 'select all' [Ctrl A] and apply that style to your whole document.

Two operations to perform in each file...

[Edited at 2013-03-17 15:07 GMT]

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds great Mar 17, 2013

Wil try this one. Thanks, Tony!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to apply standard formatting to existing Word documents

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search