How to convert text into external tags in MS Word
Thread poster: Glo8

South Korea
Local time: 16:41
Korean to English
May 24, 2013

Hi all

I have been looking on this site and over the web, but I seem unable to find the answer to my problem.
Could someone help me with the problem below?

Converting "certain text" (bold, underline) in MS Word to external tags (non-translatable), such as the ones below.

appDet.alt.23= "Text to Translate"
eventResult.text.1= "Text to Translate"
out.text.15= "Text to Translate"

My only idea up to now has been to separate the code and translatable text in Excel into 2 columns, by using tabbed formatting, but I would like to find a better solution to this issue.

Best Regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
French to English
Do you use a CAT tool? May 24, 2013

It would help to know what you're planning on doing after separating the translatable from un-translatable (ie: processing in a CAT tool, which one?)

If the text you want as un-translatable has some kind of font attribute that can be used for find & replace, and you are using WFC or similar, find & replace that text with tw4winexternal style.

Local time: 08:41
French to Dutch
+ ...
I had this problem once May 24, 2013

For a direct client (so I could not ask him for advice about my translation session!).

My source files were in .txt, and there were 15,000 words.

Finally I processed the files in Word, replaced = and the following space (= ) by tab (^t).
I then defined the first column as untranslatable (Shift +Ctrl +F8) and used Wordfast Classic for the translation of the second column.
Other workarounds are possible (for instance conversion into a table, and then into Excel, and translation with your preferred CAT).

After translation and cleaning up I replaced tab (^t) by (= ) and checked carefully the quotes, especially the quotes at the end of the lines, as for my client's CMS they were section delimiters. Then I saved back into .txt.

If you are not sure, just translate a small part and send it back to the client, so that his webmaster can do a test.

[Modifié le 2013-05-24 17:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert text into external tags in MS Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search