How to convert text into external tags in MS Word
Thread poster: Glo8

Glo8
South Korea
Local time: 07:37
Korean to English
May 24, 2013

Hi all

I have been looking on this site and over the web, but I seem unable to find the answer to my problem.
Could someone help me with the problem below?

Converting "certain text" (bold, underline) in MS Word to external tags (non-translatable), such as the ones below.

appDet.alt.23= "Text to Translate"
eventResult.text.1= "Text to Translate"
out.text.15= "Text to Translate"

My only idea up to now has been to separate the code and translatable text in Excel into 2 columns, by using tabbed formatting, but I would like to find a better solution to this issue.

Best Regards
Anthony

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:37
French to English
Do you use a CAT tool? May 24, 2013

It would help to know what you're planning on doing after separating the translatable from un-translatable (ie: processing in a CAT tool, which one?)

If the text you want as un-translatable has some kind of font attribute that can be used for find & replace, and you are using WFC or similar, find & replace that text with tw4winexternal style.

nrichy (X)
France
Local time: 00:37
French to Dutch
+ ...
I had this problem once May 24, 2013

For a direct client (so I could not ask him for advice about my translation session!).

My source files were in .txt, and there were 15,000 words.

Finally I processed the files in Word, replaced = and the following space (= ) by tab (^t).
I then defined the first column as untranslatable (Shift +Ctrl +F8) and used Wordfast Classic for the translation of the second column.
Other workarounds are possible (for instance conversion into a table, and then into Excel, and translation with your preferred CAT).

After translation and cleaning up I replaced tab (^t) by (= ) and checked carefully the quotes, especially the quotes at the end of the lines, as for my client's CMS they were section delimiters. Then I saved back into .txt.

If you are not sure, just translate a small part and send it back to the client, so that his webmaster can do a test.

[Modifié le 2013-05-24 17:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert text into external tags in MS Word

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search