https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/24968-chemical_formulas_how_do_you_get_little_numbers_below_letters.html

Chemical formulas - how do you get little numbers below letters?
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:49
German to English
Sep 23, 2004

Help, help!
I am translating a chemical analysis of a product - from a pdf of a photocopy. In other words I have no way of copying the source language text into Word and have to recreate it as I go. There are several instances in which a certain chemical formula is referred to with the numbers in little tiny font below the letters - i.e. C12.
How do I get the 12 into that format??
Thank you!

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Subscript Sep 23, 2004

In Word select the digits, click on Format -> Font and select Subscript (i.e put a tick in the box). It will automatically be made smaller but if you need it to be even smaller you can change the size of the font.

Good luck!

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Subscript Sep 23, 2004

Rebecca Holmes-Löffler wrote:

Help, help!
I am translating a chemical analysis of a product - from a pdf of a photocopy. In other words I have no way of copying the source language text into Word and have to recreate it as I go. There are several instances in which a certain chemical formula is referred to with the numbers in little tiny font below the letters - i.e. C12.
How do I get the 12 into that format??
Thank you!

This kind of text is called subscript. Type the text, then go to Format, Font and select subscript. There's probably a keyboard shortcut, but I'm not aware of it. If you've got lots to do then you should program a couple of macros: one to select subscript; and one to deselect it. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll tell you.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Shortcut Sep 23, 2004

Hi,
In my German version of Word XP, the shortcut is Alt + #.

HTH, Ralf

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:49
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 23, 2004

Thank you all for your help - subscript is now in place!

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
writing formulas Sep 23, 2004

Hi Rebecca.

A good idea if you have to write/copy several formulas is to install Microsoft Equation. It's part of the Office package, though it doesn't come in the standard installation.
The option can be selected through the "insert object" function.
It should be something like

Insert>Object>Microsoft equation x.x

if ME is already installed, You'll get a small equation window, othewise the system will prompt for the guided installation.
... See more
Hi Rebecca.

A good idea if you have to write/copy several formulas is to install Microsoft Equation. It's part of the Office package, though it doesn't come in the standard installation.
The option can be selected through the "insert object" function.
It should be something like

Insert>Object>Microsoft equation x.x

if ME is already installed, You'll get a small equation window, othewise the system will prompt for the guided installation.
It helps a lot if you have to rewrite complex formulas with lots of brackets, fractions, symbols, etc.

^__^

[Edited at 2004-09-23 08:27]
Collapse

Olga Judina
Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:49
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
You can add toolbar buttons Sep 23, 2004

Right-click on the toolbar, choose Custmoize -> Commands, choose Format from the Categories list (on the left), scroll Commands list (on the right) down to Subscript (X with blue 2 below) and then drag and drop the button to any place on your toolbar.
I have made my life a lot easier by adding several extra buttons to standard toolbars as I tend to forget the shortcuts I rarely use.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Easier to make the subscripts afterwards Sep 23, 2004

I would first write the formulas with normal numbers, then make the first number a subscript and highlight it and copy the style into the "brush" by clicking it twice. After that you can copy the style (subscript) to all the rest of the formulas in your text by highlighting them with the mouse.

Rosseon
Rosseon
Local time: 12:49
Swedish to English
Subscript Nov 25, 2004

Re-/format the numbers or symbols using the Subscript option in the Format Font menu.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chemical formulas - how do you get little numbers below letters?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »