https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/249943-how_to_insert_line_break_in_excel_cells.html

How to insert line break in Excel cells?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 29, 2013

I was translating software strings in Trados 2007 TE. I had copied the columns into Word doc and translated in TE.
The customer needs some cells to be formatted exactly like the source: two short lines with a line break:

String1
String2

But though in TagEditor there were br-tags in place, which I kept, after copying to Excel I get:

String1 String2

What can I do to make it right?
In Word the cells look still ok.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Alt-Enter May 29, 2013

Place your cursor after the required word in an Excel cell and press Alt+Enter. That should work.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
There is no way... May 29, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
What can I do to make it right?
In Word the cells look still ok.

There is no way to copy text from MS Word into MS Excel with line breaks intact, even if you use soft line breaks in MS Word. You must perform the line breaks in Excel. This means that in MS Word you must replace the line breaks with e.g. "###" and then you must search for them in Excel and use Alt+Enter to insert the line break at that point.

You can perform a find/replace in Excel, with line breaks, but it is a little tricky, because the "replace" box will appear to be empty even though it isn't, if you do it right. I can't remember how to type that line break in the replace box, though -- I always just google for it whenever I want to do it.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked, thanks! May 29, 2013

Andrey Yasharov wrote:

Place your cursor after the required word in an Excel cell and press Alt+Enter. That should work.

Fortunately there were only I few cell to be treated.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Alt + Num May 29, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can't remember how to type that line break in the replace box, though

If my memory serves me correctly, it is Alt + 010 — but like S.M. says, easiest to just Google it; and this topic has been discussed before in the ProZ.com forums too.

Pavel Mondschein
Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Actually there is a way :) May 29, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is no way to copy text from MS Word into MS Excel with line breaks intact, even if you use soft line breaks in MS Word.

Actually there is a way:
- copy the text from Word
- doubleclick on the cell in Excel to enter edit mode
- press Enter
- voila

I am not sure if it is possible to do it in all versions, but in 2007 it works

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
If there are too many line breaks to insert manually in Excel May 29, 2013

This macro can insert/remove line breaks in a whole range of cells in a single step (free beta download):
http://www.excelfindandformatmacro.webs.com

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
For future reference... May 29, 2013

1) On your clean Word file, Find and Replace ^l with XCXCXC (or any other strange string of letters).
2) Now copy the text from Word and paste in Excel. Make sure you still have the same amount of columns and lines as the original text.
3) Using the Excel Find and Replace, replace XCXCXC with Alt+010 (with the cursor in the "replace" field, hold down the 'Alt' button and type the numbers '010'. The field will remain blank, it looks like nothing happened, but in fact, it's th
... See more
1) On your clean Word file, Find and Replace ^l with XCXCXC (or any other strange string of letters).
2) Now copy the text from Word and paste in Excel. Make sure you still have the same amount of columns and lines as the original text.
3) Using the Excel Find and Replace, replace XCXCXC with Alt+010 (with the cursor in the "replace" field, hold down the 'Alt' button and type the numbers '010'. The field will remain blank, it looks like nothing happened, but in fact, it's there – just blank)
4) Now you have your text back in Excel, with line breaks as they should be!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert line break in Excel cells?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »