Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Should I get Office 2013 or Office 2010?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Office 2010 Aug 5, 2013

I have been using Office 2010 for quite a while now and I have not really had any compatibility problems with the Office 2003/2007 files that clients sometimes send me. The only problem I have encountered is with graphics that sometimes will not convert or copy-and-paste properly.

The 2010 version does take a little getting used to, as some functions are not readily visible but hidden away in different menu areas, sometimes different from where they were before. In the beginning you
... See more
I have been using Office 2010 for quite a while now and I have not really had any compatibility problems with the Office 2003/2007 files that clients sometimes send me. The only problem I have encountered is with graphics that sometimes will not convert or copy-and-paste properly.

The 2010 version does take a little getting used to, as some functions are not readily visible but hidden away in different menu areas, sometimes different from where they were before. In the beginning you have to learn where to look for what.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 01:26
French to English
+ ...
You are welcome to come over and look... Aug 5, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

Terry Richards wrote:

Wordfast classic won't work with Open Office's word processor and their equivalent, Anaphraseus, won't handle big TMs.

How big is big? Can you prove your statement?

I regularly use TMs with around a million entries. My proof is that when I try to open them Anaphraseus runs out of memory and freezes up.

I would love to switch to Open Office and was delighted when I found Anaphraseus. I would be even happier if it would work for the kind of TMs I use every week.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
English to German
+ ...
compatibility issue Aug 5, 2013

If you at all use this:
Trados Workbench (2007) does not work with Office 2013 (delivered with the latest Windows, version 8). It works with Office 2010 ( I use Windows 7)

[Edited at 2013-08-05 17:29 GMT]

Johanna Liljenzin
Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:26
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Trados 2007 works with Office 2013 on Windows 7 Aug 7, 2013

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

If you at all use this:
Trados Workbench (2007) does not work with Office 2013 (delivered with the latest Windows, version 8). It works with Office 2010 ( I use Windows 7)

[Edited at 2013-08-05 17:29 GMT]

This made me curious, so I tried translating a short document using Trados Workbench 2007 in Office 2013 on my Windows 7 computer (or rather, in my Windows 7 virtual environment on my Mac computer). To my big surprise, Trados Workbench 2007 seems to work just fine with Office 2013. So I guess it depends a bit on your specific setup (or perhaps on having sheer luck?).

I personally never use Trados Workbench 2007 for client work anymore, but I know some people are forced to do so for various reasons, and it might be interesting for them to know that at least some of us can make it work with Office 2013/360.

Johanna

[Edited at 2013-08-07 10:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I get Office 2013 or Office 2010?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »