Elena Ghetti
Elena Ghetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2004

Is there a macro or tool that allows you to split cells in Excel in the same way as with CAT alignment tools?

i.e.:

if cell A1 is "have a nice evening" and I insert cursor between "have a nice" and "evening", I will get two cells:
A1 = "have a nice" and
A2 = "evening"

(therefore not only splitting, but creating a new cell below my cell...)

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Alt+Enter Oct 23, 2004

In order to split a line in an Excel cell without creating a new cell, use Alt+Enter.

Example:

you have a string in a cell, for example
"How to bake bread",

and you want to split it so that it goes to two lines:

"How to bake
bread"

1) In the cell, bring your cursor to the point where you want to split the line
2) Hit Alt+Enter

That's it.

Victor Potapov
Victor Potapov
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:00
English to Russian
+ ...
you can't split - but you can use string functions to get PART of text into other cell Oct 23, 2004

Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to split the cell like you describe (if you use split cell function on a non-empty cell the contents stay in the left (or top?) cell.

But you can use text (string) functions such as LEFT(), RIGHT() and MID(). Suggest you look them up in MS Excel help. Basically, they treat cell contents as a text line and they return part of text that you indicate - i.e. first X symbols of the string - function LEFT(), or the last Y symbols - function RIGHT(),
... See more
Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to split the cell like you describe (if you use split cell function on a non-empty cell the contents stay in the left (or top?) cell.

But you can use text (string) functions such as LEFT(), RIGHT() and MID(). Suggest you look them up in MS Excel help. Basically, they treat cell contents as a text line and they return part of text that you indicate - i.e. first X symbols of the string - function LEFT(), or the last Y symbols - function RIGHT(), or A symbols starting from symbol number B - this is the MID() function.

You will need to define precisely the position of this "split", i.e. from where you'll be copying text.

Hope this helps!

Victor.

Elena Ghetti wrote:

Is there a macro or tool that allows you to split cells in Excel in the same way as with CAT alignment tools?

i.e.:

if cell A1 is "have a nice evening" and I insert cursor between "have a nice" and "evening", I will get two cells:
A1 = "have a nice" and
A2 = "evening"

(therefore not only splitting, but creating a new cell below my cell...)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Split cell in Excel

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »