Search (and replace) in Excel 2010
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2014

I don't work much with Excels, or try not to, because they annoy me, and it sounds like a stupid question, but how do I do a word search in an Excel 2010 document? The usual Ctrl + B (in the Spanish version) doesn't respond, and the only thing I can find is the Search and Replace function, Ctrl + L in Spanish, but when I do that, the cursor always positions itself below in the Replace box, not in the Search box above, and I have to reposition the stupid thing each time I do a search, or leave the dialogue open each time, delete the last search and enter the next word I'm searching for in the upper box. It's driving me mad. Is there no way to simply bring up Search in the right box each time?

TIA,

Mervyn

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Edit menu? Feb 3, 2014

I use a FR localized version of my Office, and it is irritating the way some Ctrl+ shortcuts work as normal, but some have been 'translated'.

If you look in the 'Edit' menu, surely it will tell you what the keyboard shortcut is for Search (without replace!)?

If it really doesn't, can you not try assigning your Ctrl+B (buscar?) shortcut to the function, and that might tell you what is already assigned to it

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it works for some reason Feb 3, 2014

Thanks Tony,

Maybe I've gone completely mad, but I did check on the tabs that it was Ctrl + B and Ctrl + L, and then tried Ctrl + B again, and now it WORKS. Was it there all along? Who knows.

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search (and replace) in Excel 2010

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search