Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2014

I don't work much with Excels, or try not to, because they annoy me, and it sounds like a stupid question, but how do I do a word search in an Excel 2010 document? The usual Ctrl + B (in the Spanish version) doesn't respond, and the only thing I can find is the Search and Replace function, Ctrl + L in Spanish, but when I do that, the cursor always positions itself below in the Replace box, not in the Search box above, and I have to reposition the stupid thing each time I do a search, or leave th... See more
I don't work much with Excels, or try not to, because they annoy me, and it sounds like a stupid question, but how do I do a word search in an Excel 2010 document? The usual Ctrl + B (in the Spanish version) doesn't respond, and the only thing I can find is the Search and Replace function, Ctrl + L in Spanish, but when I do that, the cursor always positions itself below in the Replace box, not in the Search box above, and I have to reposition the stupid thing each time I do a search, or leave the dialogue open each time, delete the last search and enter the next word I'm searching for in the upper box. It's driving me mad. Is there no way to simply bring up Search in the right box each time?

TIA,

Mervyn
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Edit menu? Feb 3, 2014

I use a FR localized version of my Office, and it is irritating the way some Ctrl+ shortcuts work as normal, but some have been 'translated'.

If you look in the 'Edit' menu, surely it will tell you what the keyboard shortcut is for Search (without replace!)?

If it really doesn't, can you not try assigning your Ctrl+B (buscar?) shortcut to the function, and that might tell you what is already assigned to it... See more
I use a FR localized version of my Office, and it is irritating the way some Ctrl+ shortcuts work as normal, but some have been 'translated'.

If you look in the 'Edit' menu, surely it will tell you what the keyboard shortcut is for Search (without replace!)?

If it really doesn't, can you not try assigning your Ctrl+B (buscar?) shortcut to the function, and that might tell you what is already assigned to it
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it works for some reason Feb 3, 2014

Thanks Tony,

Maybe I've gone completely mad, but I did check on the tabs that it was Ctrl + B and Ctrl + L, and then tried Ctrl + B again, and now it WORKS. Was it there all along? Who knows.

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search (and replace) in Excel 2010

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »