Texts overlap in Word
Thread poster: Diana Jiménez Vallejo

Diana Jiménez Vallejo  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2014

Hello everyone,

some time ago I translated a book from PDF to RTF but the problem is that the texts overlap and I "see double". I've tried to open the file with word 2003 and word 2007 but I cannot fix it. I can only see it correctly in word 2003 in "normal view".

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance!!

Direct link Reply with quote

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Can you let us have a screenshot? Feb 18, 2014

I'm not sure what you mean by "the texts overlap".

Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops... Feb 18, 2014

I don't even know how to attach a file here... oops... :/

But what I mean is that, for example, I write:

asdfkjasdñglsdggsdlgkjs
asdñfkljasdñglkadsgñk
adsñlkjasdgñlkjsdgf

and on top of that text, I find the text of the next paragraph. That is, 2 paragraphs in one and the text is not understandable because words are overlapped.

I hope I have explained it better now!

suliedu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Is it a problem of line spacing Feb 19, 2014

Maybe you can try to adjust the line spacing. It can also be caused by grids. A lot of problems will occur when a pdf file is converted into a word file. In fact, I just use txt file when too many adjustments are needed to get the word file look proper.

[修改时间: 2014-02-19 02:57 GMT]

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Text boxes? Feb 19, 2014

Check if one of both of the overlapping paragraphs are in text boxes.

Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe they are in text boxes... Feb 19, 2014

...because there's a line indicating that there are boxes... but I don't know how to move or fix them.

Many thanks to all for your replies!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:19
French to English
+ ...
Text boxes Feb 19, 2014

If indeed the text is in boxes (which seems as if it may be the case if you can see a line round them), then when you click (once!) on each box with your mouse, you should see 'handles' appear at each corner and in the middle of each side.

Depending on how the text boxes were originally set up, these handles might be little empty circles, or solid black squares. If they are squares, you generally can't move the box until you have changed the settings (right-click, or go to images tool bar that ought to be displayed); to avoid hassles, what I usually do is set all text boxes to 'in front of text', and then you cna move them freely around — BUT if they were anchored before, you may find they fly off somewhere unexpected at the moment you do it!

If the handles are circles, you'll probably find you can move them around at will; with the 'in front of text setting', the only thing you need watch out for is that your 'blank' page has line returns creating empty space for the text box to sit in, if you see what I mean?

However, your best bet would be to get rid of all these from the outset — how did you convert this PDF, using an OCR application? If so, to save time, I'd start again, do the OCR all over, BUT this time configure it to produce just unformatted text output, instead of attempting to 'fudge' something that looks like the original format; you may feel this is wasting time up front, but believe me, it will save you heaps more time at the translation stage.

If all your text really is in text boxes, then another workaround could be to use the free, downloadable Werecat utility, which will extract all text from text boxes for you — normally, it will put it back again at the end of translation, but here, you don't want that; you just need to translate, then clean out the Werecat formatting (simple enough to do), and hey presto, you have your text with all fonts etc. preserved, but just the layout to tweak.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Texts overlap in Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search