How to edit an HTML form inside a Word file?
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:36
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2004

Dear all

I'm working on a Word file (MS Word 97 SR 2) with an embedded HTML form. The form includes a drop down menu with country names that I have to translate.
I need to change the OPTION VALUES with the country names but I don't know how to edit them.
Any idea?

Many thanks!

Clarisa

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is this a HTML-form or a field? Nov 18, 2004

Ie if you right click on it, can you select "Properties"? If it is a drop down list, created in this way, you could edit it via "Properties".

Sorry, but I do not know how to edit HTML ebedded in Word...

Regards
Jerzy

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:36
English to German
+ ...
separate.htm forms Nov 18, 2004

Hi! separate .htm forms as a .htm file and reintegrate after the translation. Because the MS variation of converting .htm files generates unneccessary additional code which does not work with various browsers (also called FAT-Code). A thing like this needs separate cleaning in DreamWeaver and recustomizing.
Good luck
Brandis

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:36
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visual Basic Nov 19, 2004

I decided to save the Word file as HTML, and to edit the html codes with a text editor. I told my client about the problem and sent both files: the traslation with the html forms untranslated, and a completely translated html file.

But I'm a little bit stubborn, and I was sure that there had to be some procedure to edit the form within Word itself. And I found it!
It's not that easy, but it works. I'm just learning but I want to share my little knowledge with you.
... See more
I decided to save the Word file as HTML, and to edit the html codes with a text editor. I told my client about the problem and sent both files: the traslation with the html forms untranslated, and a completely translated html file.

But I'm a little bit stubborn, and I was sure that there had to be some procedure to edit the form within Word itself. And I found it!
It's not that easy, but it works. I'm just learning but I want to share my little knowledge with you.

In Word, insert the cursor at the point you have to edit.

Go to TOOLS > MACRO > VISUAL BASIC EDITOR and open it.

Automatically it will appear a strange editor showing two columns: 1) "Display values" (IN GREY), and 2) the values to be translated or modified. Just change them as needed and close the Visual Basic editor using "ALT F11". That's all!

Regards,

Clarisa

[Edited at 2004-11-19 03:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit an HTML form inside a Word file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »