Formatting Issues
Thread poster: Amel Abdullah

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 3, 2014

I am working with a document in Word 2010 that is poorly formatted. When faced with such a situation, I usually strip away all the formatting and fix everything from scratch. This time, however, I would like to keep certain aspects of the formatting. For example, many words in the document are italicized, and I would like to keep the italics. Is there any way I can remove all the problematic formatting without losing these italics?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Copy’n’paste May 4, 2014

Hi Amel, I usually achieve this by copying and pasting somewhere, then copying and pasting back into a new Word document. This *somewhere* would be a simpler word processor (eg WordPad that comes with Windows, or even a suitable website or forum form). You can also experiment with “merge formatting” option when pasting within Word itself, into a new document.

Hope that helps.

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 20:25
English to German
Search&Replace back and forth May 4, 2014

It depends on the actual formatting.

A general solution for keeping a certain character style (not a paragraph style):

Use Search& Replace and replace all words in question by a tricky substitute.
E. g. replace all italic words by {word}.

Then delete all character styles and perform a back-replace afterwards, again via Search&Replace: Search all words that are surrounded with {}, replace these words by italic ones and delete the {}.

You'll need Word's Advanced Search options to do that.

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 8, 2014

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm still working on it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting Issues

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search