Counting words in Powerpoint
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
German to English
Nov 30, 2004

I'm translating a Powerpoint presentation. How can I count the number of words for invoicing purposes? I've tried highlighting the text and pasting it into Word, but highlighting only manages to select part of each slide at a time, so it's a time-consuming process. Is there a better way?

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
English to Polish
+ ...
properties Nov 30, 2004

try File and go to Properties, unfortunately it does not display characters.

Piotr

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Trados Nov 30, 2004

Hello.
One possibility:

Open the file with TagEditor, save as TTX an use the Analyse function from Trados.

Another is to use software like practicount or make a pdf which can saved as rtf file

Hans

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 30, 2004

Thanks, Piotr. The word count is indeed there under File - Properties - Statistics. I'm glad it's so simple (fortunately I don't need characters in this instance).

c3po
English to Hungarian
reply Nov 30, 2004

In powerpoint 2003 select file - send to - microsoft word and you can count words, characters, etc. in ms word.
good luck.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Properties Nov 30, 2004

Amorel,

I would take care when using the Properties->Statistics word count as it is not always reliable.

It can be compared to doing the same with Word documents.
Try right-clicking on a Word doc in a folder and looking at Properties->Statistics word count.

Then open the document and do a word count.

Chances are it'll be 10% higher, and the same occurs with PP.

Having said that, I don't know of any definitive method other than the time-consuming one you mention.

Regards,
Andy

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I generally charge ppt by the hour Nov 30, 2004

Armorel Young wrote:

I'm translating a Powerpoint presentation. How can I count the number of words for invoicing purposes? I've tried highlighting the text and pasting it into Word, but highlighting only manages to select part of each slide at a time, so it's a time-consuming process. Is there a better way?

Hi Amorel!

I generally charge ppt translations by the hour, because they often require additional formating work, and also because lots of ppt files are cryptic bullet point lists that are much harder to translate than "Fließtext" (to use a German word - it's late and I'm tired, can't think of the English right now )

Any good text count program (I use practicount, but I think anycount also offers this feature) will count words in ppt files quite reliably.

HTH

Alison

PS: It was great to meet you in person in Oxford!

Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
Guaranteed method Dec 1, 2004

As a translation coordinator, I have processed many hundreds of PowerPoints. I have only found one sure-fire, accurate way to count all the words:
1. Print the PowerPoint to Acrobat Distiller.
2. Open the resulting PDF in Adobe Acrobat and save as RTF.
3. Open the RTF file in Word and use the Word Count feature, or
Analyse the RTF file(s) with the Trados workbench.

Note: "Printing" the PDF from PowerPoint may take a lot of time if the PowerPoint contains many graphics. You may have to pre-process the files by deleting all the ClipArt first.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:58
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I`ve just done it using Analyse in Trados 6.5.5 Dec 8, 2004

But it was slow.

Nancy

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:28
German to English
+ ...
Using Adobe Distiller Apr 4, 2005

Thanks to Ben Hickman for his admirable solution!!

The neat thing about the solution is that it works even with OpenOffice. As it turns out, Adobe Distiller is powerful enough to take a Powerpoint file opened in OpenOffice and convert it into a PDF file.

Worked for me, and wasn't too slow at all.

kathleen flanagan
French to English
word count in powerpoint - Sep 19, 2009

Hi, I found the word count in PPT 2007 under "Prepare" in the upper left corner (ms logo), then "properties", "advanced properties", "stats". Very long process and...worse yet, not the same count as under the 2003 version!! Example = the same document gives me 5771 words under the 2007 version and 6934 words in the 2003 version. Has anyone else encountered this BIG problem?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in Powerpoint

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search