Inserting identical text on each line of a Word document
Thread poster: BrianHayden

BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
Jun 27, 2014

I've copied and pasted the HTML text of a dictionary into Word (I believe I have the 2010 edition). I've put bullet points in front of each paragraph of text ( = each entry in the copy-pasted dictionary), so that now I have an enormous list of bullet points, each bullet point followed by a dictionary entry. So, that's where I'm at now. I want to copy-and-paste this Word document onto the end of another, larger Word document, which is in the same bullet-point format. This would give me another tremendous list of bullet points; I would then use the alphabetize feature in Word on this large list, creating one large, merged dictionary, in alphabetical order. So far I know how to do all of that. Here's the catch: before I merge the two wordlists, I want to add a source note to the end of each bullet entry/paragraph in one of the dictionaries, so that I can tell where I pulled these entries from. So, how do I automatically insert identical text -- a very short bracketed three-letter code like "[WEB]" for Webster's -- at the end of each bullet point / line / paragraph in a Word document?

I realize that I'm not explaining this very well. Thanks to anyone who tries to plow their way through my explanation.

Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:03
Member (2008)
Greek to English
Search and replace Jun 28, 2014

If I've understood you correctly, you can do this by replacing every instance of ^p (represents new paragraph) with [WEB]^p, or whatever.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It sounds simple... Jun 28, 2014

BrianHayden wrote:
Here's the catch: before I merge the two wordlists, I want to add a source note to the end of each bullet entry/paragraph in one of the dictionaries, so that I can tell where I pulled these entries from.

Find: ^p
Replace: [WEB]^p

We're assuming of course that your entries all end on ^p (and not ^l, for example) and that no entry has ^p in the middle of it.

[Edited at 2014-06-28 08:14 GMT]

BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 28, 2014

That seems to do the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting identical text on each line of a Word document

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search