Which version of MS Office do you recommend?
Thread poster: Altrum

Altrum  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2004

I am finally upgrading my OS from Win 98 to XP. Until now I've been using MS Office 2000 and am wondering whether it's worth sticking with it for now, or moving on to a later version.

What would you recommend in terms of usability, CAT compatibility (Wordfast) and agency preferences?

Thanks.

Althea

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Office XP or Office 2003 Dec 9, 2004

I have quite fast upgraded to Office XP and never regretted it.
It is very stable, does not cause major problems.
I don´t know, how Office 2003 is, but it should not be worser, so probably it would make sense to skip XP and switch directly to 2003.
There are no real compatibility issues between XP and 2000, but I don´t know how Office 2003 performs here.

Regards
Jerzy

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Word 2003 is supported by Wordfast Dec 9, 2004

Details here:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=versions&lang=engb

Regards

Andrzej

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Office 97 or 2000 Pro Dec 9, 2004

I have no problems with the Pro versions of 97 and 2000 (including Access), so I do not see what I should spend that money for..

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XP or 2003 Dec 9, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

There are no real compatibility issues between XP and 2000, but I don´t know how Office 2003 performs here.

Yes, indeed, this was precisely my dilemma. The technician who will be doing the installation said the same thing. Although he is not a user himself, he wondered whether 2003 might not be "too much" for older versions to handle, and told me to find out which is the most common version currently in use.

Althea

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't lose your existing dictionaries on disk Dec 9, 2004

The one issue I would warn about with Office 2000 versus Office 2003 relates to the way it interacts with MS Office language packs. If you installed one of the MS Office language packs (on disk) with MS Office 2000, you have to do a custom uninstall to retain those dictionaries.
Because I didn't know, I removed MS Office 2000 and installed MS Office 2003 to find that Office 2003 was incompatible with my old disk (containing Dutch and French dictionaries). I then had to buy the MS Proofing Tools on a new disk. That said, I am very pleased with MS Office 2003. It takes longer to load than Office 2000 but that is due to it being a much bigger programme. The Proofing Tools were a good investment because I have a dictionary and thesaurus for 50 languages on one disk and they are extremely useful and user-friendly.

[Edited at 2004-12-09 19:11]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The latest :-) Dec 9, 2004

Altrum wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Yes, indeed, this was precisely my dilemma. The technician who will be doing the installation said the same thing.

The latest.
I'm working 95 (old good times), 2000 (standard), XP (few times) and 2003 (65% now).
As you see, I skip 1 release for 2.
It's a good practice

Although he is not a user himself, he wondered whether 2003 might not be "too much" for older versions to handle, and told me to find out which is the most common version currently in use.

The most common is XP, but 2003 is potentially the killer with new functions (XML etc.).
Never tested with Wordfast, but Trados and DejaVu are OK.
Very stable.

Best regards
GG

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Technician?? Dec 9, 2004

Altrum wrote:

The technician who will be doing the installation said the same thing.
Althea

Regardless, what we think about Micro$ofts's solutions, there has never been the need for "technicians" to do the installation of Office... Or am I wrong?

Regards
Andrzej

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Upgrading only software is not recommendable Dec 9, 2004

Altrum wrote:

I am finally upgrading my OS from Win 98 to XP. Thanks.

Althea

How is about Hardware? RAM? Penthium what? Mhz?

I would like to upgrade my "Me" OS to XP SP2 on my laptop, but with 600 Mhz and 192 MB RAM; it is better to let it as it is.

Never touch a running system!

Rgds

Toledo (Lengua.tk)

Pablo Roufogalis
Colombia
Local time: 02:48
English to Spanish
So right! Dec 10, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Never touch a running system!

Toledo (Lengua.tk)

Toledo, you are so right! Messing with an stable system is not a good idea.

If there's no need to upgrade you shouldn't upgrade. Period!!

And need means that you can't do a job unless you upgrade, or you will be WAY MORE efficient if you upgrade.

Upgrading on a whim could cause a lot of grief, downtime, aggravattion, ulcers and all for nothing. There should be a surgeon's general notice in all of MS softwqare packages.

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office, not operating system Dec 10, 2004

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:

Messing with an stable system is not a good idea.

If there's no need to upgrade you shouldn't upgrade. Period!!

And need means that you can't do a job unless you upgrade, or you will be WAY MORE efficient if you upgrade.

Upgrading on a whim could cause a lot of grief, downtime, aggravattion, ulcers and all for nothing.

Ok, thanks, but perhaps I should have been clearer. After 5 years with a Pentium II and Windows 98, I have decided to invest in a new, faster, spankier computer with more RAM and which runs on the more stable Windows XP operating system. I have no doubts about changing system.

What I am asking here is which MS OFFICE package is currently the most widely used and/or the best to work with. And more specifically, whether switching to Office XP is worth the ride, given its similarity to Office 2000, or whether moving straight to Office 2003 is the best option.

Althea

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
Go with MS Office 2003 Jan 12, 2005

Greetings.

Go with MS Office 2003.

While Office 2003 soaks up a lot of memory to install and run, it is very reliable and stable, including switching between LTR and RTL languages and their associated alphabets.

Good luck.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English (LTR) (RTL) Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California, USA

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change! Jan 13, 2005

Thanks to all who answered.

In the end I decided to stay with Office 2000, since, with the exception of Outlook 2003, which I don't use anyway, I could't really justify the expense for Office 2003, while, as Jerzy said, Office XP is compatible with Office 2000.

Althea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which version of MS Office do you recommend?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search