How to get rid of annoying floating icons in Microsoft Word?
Thread poster: Surtees
Surtees
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2005

In Microsoft Word 2003, every time I paste and cut, an annoying little floating icon appears, with a pop-up menu given various actions you can do with the pasted/cut text.

It's not good, it's not clever and it's annoying the hell out of me, most of all because it obscures the line above or below, which is very off-putting when you're trying to revise a text.

Could anyone please tell me how to deactivate this feature?

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is a feature, not a bug Jan 25, 2005

And it is not necessarily anoying, but...

Simply go to Tools - Options and on the Tab Vie w deselect "Smarttags".

Regards
Jerzy

PS
If you move the mouse away from it, it disappears...

[Edited at 2005-01-25 18:07]

Surtees
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy! Jan 25, 2005

That's that sorted!

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
Danish to English
+ ...
cut and paste Jan 25, 2005

I recommend leaving it alone. It disappears by itself when you continue with your work.

If your cut and paste method enters text in other than your normal font and format, you will without the icon have to spend time selecting the text and restoring it to your normals, whereas with the icon you only have to select an option.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I removed this feature and am happy without Jan 26, 2005

It annoyed me for years on Word2002, before I found I can stop it. I do not miss it at all.
Regards
Heinrich

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
You can also hit Esc Jan 26, 2005

To make the SmartTag disappear instantly without moving the mouse, just hit Esc. This is helpful because you often do need the pointer to be in the location where you have just pasted something or added a bullet to a list, etc.

I was annoyed by this feature initially, but I have found it handy on occasions, and with the ability to dispatch it with Esc, it really doesn't bother me any more.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I admit, not all must like the same Jan 26, 2005

but this is as with any new thing you get - either you get used to it, as shoes you wear for the first time, or not, and the drop it away.
If you see this as feature, for instance at autocorrections, which are very usefull indeed, you can teach Word in this way, what it should autocorrect, and what not.

Microsoft software has a lot of features we do not use or even are not aware of. Critisising this software just because they are there is IMO wrong, but this is my very personal opinion.
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get rid of annoying floating icons in Microsoft Word?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search