Urgent! Track Changes won't recognize password
Thread poster: tessmallory
tessmallory
tessmallory
United States
Jul 7, 2015

Hi! I am using track changes on a Word docx file. I put in a password when I created it, but now it doesn't recognize the password and I KNOW I'm putting in the right one. I know there's not any way to retrieve it (who came up with that brilliant idea???) but is there anyway to copy the document INCLUDING the track changes into another file?? Please someone post soon and give me an idea, any idea! Thanks so much!

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 04:36
German to French
+ ...
Insert the file as an object ? Jul 7, 2015

You could try to insert the file in a new document as an object. Insert > Object > ...

Good luck !

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 20:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Needs more explanation Jul 7, 2015

It is not clear what you are asking. Track changes does not require a password. You may need a password to open the document. If your password is not recognized (are you sure you don't accidentally have the caps lock on?), don't you get a 'read only' copy that you can then copy and paste into a new document? And if you previously saved the track changes, are they not visible in the 'read only' copy?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 04:36
English to German
More info needed Jul 8, 2015

tessmallory wrote:

I put in a password when I created it

A "Reading forbidden" password or an "Editing forbidden" password?

I KNOW I'm putting in the right one. I know there's not any way to retrieve it

In fact there are many ways, just google for "password recovery". But if Word doesn't accept the correct password, the problem is different.

Tina is right: Provide useful info in the first place.

tessmallory
tessmallory
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Jul 8, 2015

Thanks for the help! My lead editor helped me work it out. I was trying not to let her know what a dummy I am!) All is well!

Tess

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent! Track Changes won't recognize password

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »