Word formatting: disobedient numbering
Thread poster: David Warwick
David Warwick
David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2005

Hi all. I am translating a document using Word 2000, and until a short time ago I was enjoying easy formatting of sections, with automatic numbering and lettering of different items. However, part way through the document the formatting has gone haywire: whenever I hit return after a paragraph the cursor moves to the centre of the page, or numbers jump forward and miss numbers out, and I can't get it to return to the formating for the first half of the doc. How can I bend this program to my will... See more
Hi all. I am translating a document using Word 2000, and until a short time ago I was enjoying easy formatting of sections, with automatic numbering and lettering of different items. However, part way through the document the formatting has gone haywire: whenever I hit return after a paragraph the cursor moves to the centre of the page, or numbers jump forward and miss numbers out, and I can't get it to return to the formating for the first half of the doc. How can I bend this program to my will? Apologies if this is very common, please provide help or point me to a past posting. Many thanksCollapse

Christopher Schmidt
Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
German to English
+ ...
word numbering: tried fields? Feb 4, 2005

Number in word can be a *major* headache. If you're not careful - sometimes, even if you are - numbering blocks can get mixed together. So, you might think you've restarted a list of numbers, but you're actually using an already existing list.

Check out this downloadable book by Jean Weber:

http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

I was able to use her
... See more
Number in word can be a *major* headache. If you're not careful - sometimes, even if you are - numbering blocks can get mixed together. So, you might think you've restarted a list of numbers, but you're actually using an already existing list.

Check out this downloadable book by Jean Weber:

http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

I was able to use her work around of using word fields. It's kind of tricky at first, but it's bombproof as far as keeping the numbering in order goes.

Good luck!
cs
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not necessarily a headache Feb 4, 2005

Provided you are the creator of the document: use styles for different formating and numbering.
This is a very handy function.
For example for text with
1. Aaa
2. bbb
and so on,
create a style "Numbered_arabic".
To do so format a paragraph accordning to your need, then click in the field for style, which usually should show "Standard" at this place, enter the name of your style and press enter. So you have a style for such numbering. When you need it sta
... See more
Provided you are the creator of the document: use styles for different formating and numbering.
This is a very handy function.
For example for text with
1. Aaa
2. bbb
and so on,
create a style "Numbered_arabic".
To do so format a paragraph accordning to your need, then click in the field for style, which usually should show "Standard" at this place, enter the name of your style and press enter. So you have a style for such numbering. When you need it starting from 1. again, right click on the paragraph and selec "New numbering" (I´m basing on german Word).
You can do the same with
a) xyxx
b) haba
and so on, calling them "Letter_listing" and so further.
You can either use "Gliederung" (sorry, I don´t know it in English, is a numbering structur of your document).
You can define styles or use the predefined styles for headings and so on.

Simply give it a try

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word formatting: disobedient numbering

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »