https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/293399-how_to_get_word_count_of_two_different_languages_in_a_single_ms_wordoff_2010_file.html

How to get word count of two different languages in a single MS-Word(Off. 2010) file?
Thread poster: M Pradeep Kumar
M Pradeep Kumar
M Pradeep Kumar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:54
English to Telugu
+ ...
Oct 18, 2015

Hi,

I have a transcription-cum-translation assignment. Some of the transcripts have two languages, that is English and Telugu. In those transcripts, I just have to translate only the Telugu part and prepare invoice for them separately.

Is there a way in which I can get word counts for the two languages separately?

Regards,

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is so easy Oct 18, 2015

Pradeep Kumar wrote:

Hi,

I have a transcription-cum-translation assignment. Some of the transcripts have two languages, that is English and Telugu. In those transcripts, I just have to translate only the Telugu part and prepare invoice for them separately.

Is there a way in which I can get word counts for the two languages separately?

Regards,

Just create 2 copies of the Word file, delete the parts in one or the other language, and do a word count of each. Keep the 2 files for future reference, in case of disputes.

Easy !

[Edited at 2015-10-18 17:28 GMT]

M Pradeep Kumar
India
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Oct 18, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Just create 2 copies of the Word file, delete the parts in one or the other language, and do a word count of each. Keep the 2 files for future reference, in case of disputes.

Easy !

[Edited at 2015-10-18 17:28 GMT]

Sir, thanks for the reply.

But, imagine selecting specific rows in a transcript that's in tabular form and which runs into tens of pages and of course, hundreds of rows.

I feel your approach is quite clever but still tedious.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:24
English to Thai
+ ...
Asian word counts Oct 19, 2015

Pradeep Kumar wrote:

But, imagine selecting specific rows in a transcript that's in tabular form and which runs into tens of pages and of course, hundreds of rows.

I feel your approach is quite clever but still tedious.

For Asian and non-Asian words, MS Word shows exact different word counts.
For other language sets, you use Find and Replace function. Here you can select individual languages to find/replace once at a time in Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option.

Soonthon L.

M Pradeep Kumar
India
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works, thank you ! Oct 19, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

For Asian and non-Asian words, MS Word shows exact different word counts.
For other language sets, you use Find and Replace function. Here you can select individual languages to find/replace once at a time in Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option.

Soonthon L.

Hi,

Word didn't show up word counts differently for telugu, my language, but your other suggestion worked.

The "Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option" did the trick perfectly.

Using the above option, I found Telugu throughout the document and replaced it with nothing. Viola, I was left only with English.

Thank you so much !!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get word count of two different languages in a single MS-Word(Off. 2010) file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »