'Fixing' a document in Word
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2005

I am working on a Word doc created from a PDF using a special tool, which unfortunately, hasn't worked to perfection, so I'm having a lot of problems with Trados failing to find end of segment tags.

I think the problem is missing white spaces, so I am experimenting with adding extra ones.

One area where error occurs is as follows:

The doc has sections and sub-sections, and the numbers are followed by a little black arrow (produced by the tab left and right button that indents a line). To do a Find and Replace, I need to know what this tab is called, becuase in the F&R, 'tab' doesn't work.

Otherwise I will have to add a space manually:-(

Direct link Reply with quote

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:10
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
^t Feb 15, 2005

A tab character is represented by ^t.
You can also select special characters from a list. In the Find or Find and Replace dialogue box, select Special and then select the relevant character from the list.

Good luck!
Marianne

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
^t Feb 15, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:
To do a Find and Replace, I need to know what this tab is called, becuase in the F&R, 'tab' doesn't work.

Hi Ailish,

The way to represent "tab" in the F/R box is ^t.
It might also be useful ^p (end of paragraph) and ^l (end of line).

Regards,
Grace.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
finding & replacing special characters Feb 16, 2005

If you look under More/Special in the F&R window, you will see a list of special characters (by name). If you select one, its code (they all start with a carat character) will be inserted in whichever text box you have selected.

PS: If anybody knows the codes for en and em spaces (if they exist), I'd be very grateful.

Hnmm, I seem to have duplicated vixen's reply. Oh well, you can't have too much of good advice...

[Edited at 2005-02-16 00:31]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody:-) Feb 16, 2005

At least now I know what it's called, unfortunately it disn't work, but it's little trouble adding the spaces manually.

Wouldn't you think Trados would be smart enough to tell you about these things BEFORE you open a segemnt, instead of allowing you to get stuck with an uncloseable segment....sigh!

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:10
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
en/em spaces Feb 16, 2005

Kenneth, there does not seem to be a code for either an en space or an em space. I also checked the character set overview in my Word manual, but this lists only normal spaces and a nonbreaking space.

If you're working in Word, you could of course create a macro to define your own shortcut.

HTH,
Marianne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Fixing' a document in Word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search