Argh - Word 2000 gives me French punctuation!
Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:43
French to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2005

I'm translating a document from French to English using Wordfast in Word 2000. When I type a colon in the current segment, an extra space is invariably inserted after it, without my asking for this extra space. The language appears to be set to English (UK), as far as I can see.

Any ideas, folks?

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
English to French
+ ...
TM Mar 9, 2005

Is the memory EN>FR, by any chance?

I've noticed that when (by mistake) a EN>FR TM is loaded and used with a FR>EN text, my target segment is "configured" with French punctuation instead of English, even though I set the language of the text to English.

I hope this helps!

(this also applies to a FR>EN TM being loaded with a EN>FR text...)

[Edited at 2005-03-09 10:20]

[Edited at 2005-03-09 10:20]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Language settings Mar 9, 2005

Are you sure the language is set to English? I think it's set to French - maybe just for the current segment. You can change the language, turn off AutoCorrect or just undo the automatic correction (CTRL+Z).

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
English to French
+ ...
Quality Control Mar 9, 2005

Hi, Angela

In the WF menu, click on the QC (Quality Control) tab and chek if the command "Have a non-breaking space before=:;?!" is active, in which case, unmark it. That should do the trick.

Cheers

Bruno Magne

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
select all text and then set language Mar 9, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Are you sure the language is set to English? I think it's set to French - maybe just for the current segment. You can change the language, turn off AutoCorrect or just undo the automatic correction (CTRL+Z).

Make sure to select all of the text in the document (ctrl-A) and then set the language to English.

Jeff

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
English to French
+ ...
Sorry, Angela Mar 9, 2005

I did not read correctly your post.

What do you mean exactly by an extra space after a colon ? Does that mean that you have TWO blank spaces aftet the colon. That is not a feature of the French language (non-breakable space BEFORE punctuation signs) but rather an (wrong?) English one.

A possible solution: go to the Quality COntrol tab and check the "No double spaces except after=" command. It should be active but no punctuation sign should be specified in it.

Jeff, your solution would have no effect, since Angela is using Wordfast and translating segment by segment and there is no way she can select future segments that do not exist yet.

Cheers
Bruno Magne

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:43
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right! Mar 9, 2005

Bruno Magne wrote:

I did not read correctly your post.

What do you mean exactly by an extra space after a colon ? Does that mean that you have TWO blank spaces aftet the colon. That is not a feature of the French language (non-breakable space BEFORE punctuation signs) but rather an (wrong?) English one.

In fact, Bruno, no-one read my post properly, but the replies were all good because it was I who made a mistake - indeed, Word has been inserting a space BEFORE the colon. Which is not required in English.

I think I've sorted it out now, though, by tweaking the language settings. Thanks, everyone.
Angela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Argh - Word 2000 gives me French punctuation!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search