Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2005

100 mg of a drug
75 years

I have a text in which little symbols like the Fahrenheit or Celsius degree symbol appear between numbers and words, as in the examples above. I'm not sure what they are, can anyone enlighten me?

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Non-breaking spaces Mar 9, 2005

Dear Ailish,

I think you may be displaying all the formatting marks (Tools -> Options -> View). If this is the case, the little symbols are non-breaking spaces to ensure the mg stays with the number should the line break off (handy when you do not want the euro symbol to be split from the amount). Is this it? You can add them yourself: Insert -> Symbol -> Special characters

Kind regards,
Marijke

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Non-breaking space Mar 9, 2005

You didn't specify the application you use, but I guess it's MS Word and the symbols are non-breaking spaces. It's a commonly used - and widely unknown - character that prevents line-breaks.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Non-breaking space Mar 9, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

You didn't specify the application you use, but I guess it's MS Word and the symbols are non-breaking spaces. It's a commonly used - and widely unknown - character that prevents line-breaks.

They shall not prevent line breaks, but are intended to keep the number and the symbol together. Ie if you mention measurment, we usualy write "100 m", but to write
m
is wrong, thus one uses non-breaking space to keep "100" and "m" together.

To insert this in Word, press "CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE", to enter it in TAG Editor use the proper button.
The ANSI-code for that character is ALT+0160.

Regards
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
No breaks with non-breaking space Mar 9, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

They shall not prevent line breaks, but are intended to keep the number and the symbol together.

...which is the same, isn't it? The line will not break between the number and the symbol, if non-breaking space is used. Of course they do not prevent line breaks in the whole document.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed Mar 9, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

They shall not prevent line breaks, but are intended to keep the number and the symbol together.

...which is the same, isn't it? The line will not break between the number and the symbol, if non-breaking space is used. Of course they do not prevent line breaks in the whole document.

Cheers
Jerzy

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
FYI Mar 9, 2005

Just in case you didn't already know, you can do the same with a dash (SHIFT + CTRL + -), which also keeps the preceding and following segments together.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Keeping words with a dash together Mar 9, 2005

Thanks, Derek, I knew about the first one mentioned, but I did not know about the dash. It's always useful to know these little things.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all! Mar 9, 2005

I understand that it's a space but not one that is permitted to separate a number from the concept, so mg will never appear on a separate line from 7, say....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

symbol, like the temperature one

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »